ATV Source.com | Calendar | ATV/UTV Reviews | ATV/UTV News | ATV/UTV Product Reviews | ATV/UTV Racing | ATV/UTV Trails | ATV/UTV Videos

ATVSource.com Social Community Forums

ATVSource.com is a social community site based on the needs of ATV/UTV fans alike.
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 12:43 pm 
ATV Nut Member

Peak Racing wrote:
The Raptor is the older Badger they simply changed the name and the plastic to look like dads raptor I guess so they would sell more.

The problem with the front suspension is it works like a teeter-totter. It has one square tube between the front tires with a bolt in the center. The suspension can not move when jumped if both front tires hit the ground at the same time.

Nor can the suspension work for a child if the front tires come to bumps, logs, rocks or anything else at the same time.

The only way this type of suspension can work is when only one tire
rolls over an object, then and only then can one of the shocks begine to work.

Just this weekend I saw a Raptor with the front tire completely folded back
because it landed too hard.

They should have put their money into making a safer youth quad
in stead of making cooler looking plastic to sell more.

My opinion... unsafe, there are far better built youth quads for much less
$$$ ----keep looking :grin:

I hate to be sooooo darn contradictory here, but in all due respect that is not how the suspension works on the front of a Raptor 80 :???:
There's not a pivot point in the center of the front axel that prevents the suspension from working if a bump is hit at the same time with both wheels. The Raptor/Badger design does use a swingarm on the front suspension. The design is similar to the type of swing arm used on the rear suspension on almost all youth quads and that it pivots near the engine and is tied to a straight axel in the front (but with two shocks up front instead of one like on the rear). If a bump is hit both tires go up at the same time, unlike the preferred independent front suspension on most youth atv's. In my opinion, the Raptor 80 suspension is not a bad design for mild trail riding or even for flat-track as it doesn't lean into the corners as much as those with independent front suspension... but for Motocross or even hard trail riding i agree with the other members...they have there limits. If you want to know more about Raptor 80's go to http://www.raptor80racing.com/ They have some real cool stuff!
And we don't own a Raptor or a Badger... we have 50cc Kasea and 90cc Sundiro for my kids and I ride a Honda. I just think they get bashed a little too much on this forum sometimes... (not everyone races and wants to ride a Taiwanese/Chinese mini clone you know... :wink: )

ADVERTISEMENT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 6:29 am 
ATVing Obsessed Member

Well then I stand corrected, guess I need to take a closer look next time I see one and get my facts straight. :grin:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 11:16 am 
ATV Nut Member

Peak Racing wrote:
Well then I stand corrected, guess I need to take a closer look next time I see one and get my facts straight. :grin:

Greg, you are one of the most knowledgeable guys I know when it comes to CVT mini-quads (a lot more than me, that's for sure). I've used your posts many times while working on my kids ATV's. I even have a hard copy of the thread of the of the oil injection removal procedure in my garage and just used it last weekend while doing some performance upgrades to my sons ATV.
I know the Raptors are not a favorite on this forum and compared to what's out there I can see why. I think you see a lot more of them out here in California because after 2002 the Raptor 80 and the TRX-90 are about the only two mini's that met the states emission requirements, so you end up seeing a lot more modified versions of both of them. Honda and Yamaha have enough money to pay a the high price of the certification process to get the states "Green Sticker" so you can ride them year round... though i've heard that a few other 4-stroke manufactures are getting certified this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 7:06 am 
ATVing Obsessed Member

Thank you for the kind words Sanddaddy. I am sure you got a good point there. Anymore the only quads I see are whats at the track, I use to have the time to go and see first hand all these different kid quads and study how each are built, handle and run so I could have answers for those that asked. I have not had the opportunity to do that in a while, I need to take the time again and update my brain :grin:

I forget about all the treehugin laws you now have to deal with out there.
Reminds me of that song -- sign,sign everywhere a sign, do this don't do
that, can't ya read the sign.... :lol:

I recall when I lived in Cal we could go any where riding anything and
run our rails all over Pismo. Ahhh the good old days :grin:

Post subject: Re: yamaha badger 80
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:48 pm 
Still on the Trailer Member

I have a 1986 yamaha badger and have been looking to buy a used engine on ebay. What years are compatible with my 1986?

Thank you in advance

Carrot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:03 am 
ATV Official
ATV Official

Carrot,

The post you responded to is well over seven years old, and most if not all posters involved are long gone. May do better to start a new topic to search for info you need.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:40 pm 
ATVing To The End

Yamaha has a habit of re-using engines in different vehicles, and not changing things much after introduction, as did many ATV makers of that era. I would expect, but cannot say for certain since I do not own Yamys, that all years of Badger and the Rappy 90 are the exact same engine. It costs a lot to change things, so they do not. But, to be safe, I would try to find an engine from an 80's or 90's Badger anyway. We can safely say they will be the same as yours.