ATV Source.com | Calendar | ATV/UTV Reviews | ATV/UTV News | ATV/UTV Product Reviews | ATV/UTV Racing | ATV/UTV Trails | ATV/UTV Videos

ATVSource.com Social Community Forums

ATVSource.com is a social community site based on the needs of ATV/UTV fans alike.
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:14 pm 
Still on the Trailer Member

I got a 2002 Arctic Cat 90 and i have been working on it for a while now. It didn't run when they gave it to me and it has compression. I replaced the oil lines and gas lines as well as a new carb. So I hooked up the gas and oil and it won't start up. The spark plug kicks and it will start with starting fluid but it seems that the bike isn't getting gas. The carb will fill up with gas but won't go into the motor. Any ideas why?

ADVERTISEMENT

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:04 pm 
ATVing To The End

The ports in the carb that supply fuel to the engine are probably plugged. Sitting without being ran for months or years is the cause. The fuel sours and forms a varnish that plugs up everything.

If you are sure you have good gas flow to the carb, the carb will need to be stripped down, soaked in a good carb cleaner for 24 hours, and then all the ports and passages blown out with compressed air. It may take more than one soak and blow cycle to get it clean. You might get lucky and just the jets are plugged. So check the jets first. If you cannot see light thru them, they are plugged.

If you decide to strip the carb, make notes and draw a diagram to insure you get all the parts back where they came from. Use a carb cleaner that doe not attack rubber and plastic parts, as well.

Good Luck!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:23 pm 

Well that didn't work. The bowl will fill up with gas but won't go into the motor. So here is what I am thinking, there is this line that comes from the oil pump and goes to the carb and that is the only line I didn't replace because it is to much hassle to get to. Could that be the reason why there isn't any gas getting into the motor because all the jets are clear and set right.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:14 pm 
ATVing To The End

What didn't work?

The line from the oil pump is for injecting a small amount of oil into the carb, auto mix. I am not at all familiar with that system, having never owned a 2-stroke with oil injection. I do know that most who have auto mix block it off and pre-mix by hand, for whatever the reason. I do not know how to block it, however. Since the auto mix system gets blocked a lot by 2-stroke owners, it is possible your problem is the reason.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:08 pm 

Thank you for telling me what that line is and when i get the chance i will mix some gas and see if that is my problem. As you said you don't have to much experience with 2 strokes, would it ignite regular gas since it is a 2 stroke?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:35 pm 

I found out what the problem was, the carb was to lose and letting in to much air so i got a new clamp and it will start up for a few seconds and then will die. The problem now since that is a new carb, the needle from the throttle is fully adjusted but the needle won't move unless you give it full throttle but it hardly goes up, any ideas why?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:53 pm 
ATVing To The End

Perhaps the throttle cable needs adjusted?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:32 pm 

That's what it was so now it will start up for a few seconds and then die so I will probably have to go back to the carb and mess with the idle screw maybe or the air mixture screw? If that doesn't work I have a feeling it's the choke because it's hard to start up but if i cover up the carb and choke it with my hand it will run until i move my hand and it will die!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:29 pm 
ATVing To The End

Try richening the idle mixture screw a bit at a time until it idles smoothly. Might need to set the idle speed a bit higher a well.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:02 pm 

Thank you for all your help, it runs great now except for one thing, there is hardly any power in it at all because it wont even go up a little hill unless you get a big run for it but it hardly makes it up it anyways so im thinking that maybe a new piston?