ATV Source.com | Calendar | ATV/UTV Reviews | ATV/UTV News | ATV/UTV Product Reviews | ATV/UTV Racing | ATV/UTV Trails | ATV/UTV Videos

ATVSource.com Social Community Forums

ATVSource.com is a social community site based on the needs of ATV/UTV fans alike.
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Club input
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:52 am 
ATV Nut Member

Upfront and honest. I know it is hard for us to get together since we are spread out from the coast to I-20, the cost of fuel, everybody having work and other things to take care of, so I would like to put something on the table and get some input on how everyone feels. Several of us have been the group since the beginning and I want to keep it going. How would everyone feel about having chapters of the SMATVA? It is takes a lot of planning to have a big ride so everyone can make it but it is easy to get 7-8 up for something local. Kinda of thinking about 3-4 chapters -the coast, hattiesburg, laurel and merdian. We are not doing or growing because we are so spread out. If we had local chapters under SMATVA, we should be able to do more, recruit more riders and become the atv club we wanted. We have always said we could and should have some of the best trails in the nation if we just had the numbers and the clout to drive the issue. I don't want the club to end and I think this might be the way to bring some life back into it. Let me know what ya'll think.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post subject: Re: Club input
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:17 pm 
Still on the Trailer Member

I'm open to ideas and discussion and I'd like to see things get going in a positive direction too, but I don't know if "dividing in order to conquer" is the way to go or not. Unfortunately, I'm not sitting on a barrel of ideas at the moment... I applaud starting the discussion. Now we just need everyone to discuss!

On another note, and I don't mean to take this off topic so I'll start another thread, but I would really like to ride again sometime this fall. Anyone interested?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:30 pm 
ATV Nut Member

I don't want to divide us up but add a new layer of building blocks. If we could have local meetings, get riders together, plan and develop new ideas. We are not getting anywhere with the forestry service with 8-10 people. If we have 30-40 show up and ask why the trails aren't open, then we might get some response. With everyone spread out we aren't doing squat, just look at the forum over the pass few months. We can only do so much here, email and phone calls. I still think having local meetings to get people involved is one of the keys to being successful. The Hell's Angels just had over 2,000 members from different chapters show up in San Fransisco for a funeral. Now that's power. I bet everyone around there thought it was an earthquake when they cranked up. I am open to suggestions but we need something going on.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:58 pm 
ATVing Obsessed Member

I'm all game for getting things going again but I'll be honest, I can't spare the time right now to make anything happen. I have devoted a ton of my time to making this state comparable with others but there is only so much a poor broke college student can do. We have to have support from those that make a living from this stuff. I mean as long as dealers are still able to sell record numbers of new ATVs each year there is no reason for them to take time out of their fishing trips to help us. States that have something to offer thier citizens are usually led by the ones that sell the bikes or have riding areas open, even event coordinators. They make a living from it so they have to be involved to eat.
Ideally, what has worked best for other states has been a state wide OHV association with divisions across the state. I tried to get all that going but thats when time became a problem for me and I had to abandon the attempt. As for getting things back going I'd be glad to help as much as possible if you can get a core group back up and together. I'd say that SMATVA is still a Hattiesburg based group. It was developed to serve that area so don't think I'd be offended if you guys get it back together and going. I have all the bank statements and other documents I can get together so it can keep going. And I'm still game to be a member, but as for being a driving force in the association I can't right now. I just don't have the extra time. The late nights are starting to take a toll on me as it is.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:14 am 
ATV Nut Member

Rodney, I think we all understand that everyone has their carts loaded down with jobs, kids, school, hell just paying the bills. You know I just don't want to step on anyone's toes and we have a good group of friends. I want to see if there is enough input to try and get the ball rolling down here. The Desoto rangers keep putting off anything to do with the trails down this way and I am hoping we can crank back up to do something about it. I would like to try and start having meetings again and plan some rides, etc. What about the rest of you guys?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:15 pm 
ATV Nut Member

Hell if there is any money in the accounts we need to buy a couple Kegs of Beer and have one hell of a blow out and talk about old times. Do any of you know anybody that wants to buy a CANAM 650 MAX

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:08 pm 
ATV Nut Member

There has been 317 views and only 5 replies at this time. I was hoping we could at least get some chatter started and work up from that. If anyone who reads this wants to get together and ride with a few of us in Hattiesburg, send me a email at redbronco400@comcast.net

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:31 am 
ATV Nut Member

:bigups: IF ANYONE WANTS TO PLAN A RIDE OR A MEETING, CALL ME 6015807372 I MAY NOT GO BUT I WILL CALL EVERYONE I CAN TO INFORM THEM OF A RIDE! I HAVE SAID THIS BEFORE AND NEVER GOT A PHONE CALL! LET ME KNOW WHEN AND WHERE HECK I MAY EVEN FIRE THE NANNER UP A GO TOO! THE LAST MEETING I PLANNED ONLY TWO PEOPLE SHOWED UP AND I WAS ONE OF THEM! THE LAST RIDE AT RCOR WAS A BLAST BUT THE PRICES AND IDIOTS THERE ARE A NEGATIVE. I GOT MARRIED IN NOV. AND NOW THERE IS A LIL' HILLBILLY ON THE WAY SO MY TIME IS LIMITED BUT I AM ITCHING TO RIDE

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:08 pm 
ATV Nut Member

I had heard you were hitched and expecting. I hope all is going well and everyone is in good health. I know we all can't make every meeting or ride, just the way life happens. But you know as well as anyone we have put too much time and effort into the SMATVA to let it just fall apart. We have several guys around here who still ride when we can, not the big trips to Coal Creek or Ala. but its still riding. All the pay trails like RCOR cost just to much. $20 per rider and you have 3 or 4 atvs plus gas, food, etc., that's $120-150 for a day. It still ticks me off when I see other states with a great trails programs and we have one of the crappiest. To tell you the truth, I have had 3 or 4 people say lets just start a new club, but we already have something good and I have enjoyed riding with everyone in the club. I thought having chapters of the club would build it back up. We are spread out from the coast to Meridian and so having meetings and expecting everyone to be there is a little impractical. Chapters work for the Hell's Angels. I had talked to the guys at Gander Mountain, several months ago, about having meetings there and they said that would be great. Anyway, I will post the next time we plan to ride down here and would love for everyone to come.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:08 pm 
ATV Nut Member

DEERHAWK, fIRST OFF EVERYONE IS DOIN GREAT. LINDSEY IS FINE AND THE PREGNANCY IS ON TIME. yOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT THE CLUB. TO MUCH WORK HAS BEEN PUT IN. I LIKE THE CHAPTER IDEA AND AGREE WITH PEOPLE BEING SCATTERED TO MUCH TO HAVE A MEETING AND EXPECT PEOPLE FROM LOUISIANA TO MERIDIAN TO ATTEND. IT WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE A MEETING ONLINE..... LIKE A CHATROOM TYPE DEAL. BUT THEN EVERYONE DOES NOT HAVE INTERNET. ???? I THINK BETTER WHEN I RIDE! SMITTY HAS A GOOD IDEA TOO 8-)