ATV Source.com | Calendar | ATV/UTV Reviews | ATV/UTV News | ATV/UTV Product Reviews | ATV/UTV Racing | ATV/UTV Trails | ATV/UTV Videos

ATVSource.com Social Community Forums

ATVSource.com is a social community site based on the needs of ATV/UTV fans alike.
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:49 pm 
Still on the Trailer Member

Hi
I am buying my first ATV ( at 44) I read here it is important for boots, gloves and a good helmet. My thing is the helmet I tried on several today and the xxl was very tight. The woman called someone over to help us but after 15 minutes we left, no one came. I realize it is not ATV season so maybe they are not "in season" do they make helmets larger? And which is a good one? I saw some convertible (?) ones that had a visor that could be replaced with a full face are they a good choice if I want to ride/plow in the winter?
Thanks in advance

ADVERTISEMENT

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:06 pm 
ATV Enthusiast Member

I had problems getting a helmet to fit also. They have different shapes so not all xl fit the same. I could not get a full face helmet to fit but had no problem with a 3/4 helmet. Someone suggested I take a ill fitting helmet and using a spoon press on the solid foam to custom fit it. It needed to be altered where it rested on my forehead. Some helmets have removable cushions that can change the fit. I don't recommend the visor type helmets. If you are riding in heavy dust you won't be able to keep the dust out of your eyes. Try different brands and different styles to see what fits best.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:12 pm 

Thanks I will go and check out the 3/4 this weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:38 pm 

It might sound weird but I would measure the circumference of your head too. Some brands xl is another brands medium. I don't worry about the size they say anymore I just look for the measurements of the helmets.