ATV Source.com | Calendar | ATV/UTV Reviews | ATV/UTV News | ATV/UTV Product Reviews | ATV/UTV Racing | ATV/UTV Trails | ATV/UTV Videos

ATVSource.com Social Community Forums

ATVSource.com is a social community site based on the needs of ATV/UTV fans alike.
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 2005 350 Yamaha Raptor
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:01 pm 
Still on the Trailer Member

Ok i got a :?: 4 whoever can help me. My piston pin has very lil rocking back & fourth motion. Does that mean i need a new "piston pin" or "a rod & crankshaft" this is my 1st time doin this & I Have Not A Clue. It has a new piston why they didnt change the piston pin is beyond me........ The pin dosent feel that bad on the surface but it has 2 lines that go all the way around it...... Like it got hot or something, IDK to be honest...... Someone, Anyone, can you help a girl out..... Please and Thank You............ :-)

ADVERTISEMENT

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:32 pm 
ATVing To The End

Without taking measurements of all involved components, it is impossible to tell you which is worn. If the two rings you speak of are actually grooves, then there is a good chance the pin is bad. If they are not grooves, then I would suspect the rod bearing. However, the bearing in the connecting rod would need to be measured to ensure that it is with specs.

Did some shade tree mechanic do this job, or a ATV/MC shop?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:01 pm 
Still on the Trailer Member

WoodsRuner wrote:
Without taking measurements of all involved components, it is impossible to tell you which is worn. If the two rings you speak of are actually grooves, then there is a good chance the pin is bad. If they are not grooves, then I would suspect the rod bearing. However, the bearing in the connecting rod would need to be measured to ensure that it is with specs.

Did some shade tree mechanic do this job, or a ATV/MC shop?

As u suspected a shade tree mechanic replaced the piston & not the wrist or piston pin. But what bearing are u speaking of cause my wrist or piston pin dosent have a bearing. It held in w/ 2 circlips. Is the bearing on the bottom of the rod. Idk this is all new 2 me. I bought the quad like this. I got a book but it is 4 a 350 warrior/350 banshee. but arent the raptor & warrior pretty much the same machine. OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I getting so frustrated w/it. I feel like takin it 2 junk yard......... I wish you lived close i could pay you 2 fix it. ATV shops charge way more $ than what i have 2 spend.... :sad:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:12 pm 
ATVing To The End

The bearing is a sleeve type, in the small end of the connecting rod. The wrist pin moves in it. I am not a mechanic, at least not for others' machines, I just work on my own. That way if I screw it up there is no one to complain but to myself. :wink:

I do believe the Raptor 350 uses the Warrior engine. If the wiggle is not too bad and good oil is used it may last quite a while.