ATV Source.com | Calendar | ATV/UTV Reviews | ATV/UTV News | ATV/UTV Product Reviews | ATV/UTV Racing | ATV/UTV Trails | ATV/UTV Videos

ATVSource.com Social Community Forums

ATVSource.com is a social community site based on the needs of ATV/UTV fans alike.
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:29 am 
Still on the Trailer Member

I just bought a honda 200 4 wheeler and i took the carb apart and cleaned both jets and put the carb back in.then i put a little gas in the spark plug hole and started it up and it would only run for 4 secs just burning the amount of gas i put in the spark plug hole.and if i take the gas line of the carb gas comes out so im sure it has gas going to carb...before i started working on this <the day i brought it home i could put my hand on the end of carb and try to start it and my hand would get full of gas,now when i start it my hand dosent get any gas on it???any suggestions

ADVERTISEMENT

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:35 am 
ATVing To The End

The gas is not getting thru the tiny ports in the carb body. It is gummed up most likely. I assume this quad had sit for a long time without running before you got it?

Varnish forms in the gas, and when the old fuel flows it plugs up the ports and jets both. Will require the carb to be stripped completely down to the bare body, soaked in carb cleaner (submerged completely and soaked for a minimum of 24 hours), and blown out with compressed air. May require more than one soak and blow to get it all out. Gallons of carb cleaner can be purchased at auto parts stores, and a completely plugged carb could require a 1/2 gallon to get really clean.

While you are at it, clean out the fuel tank, fuel lines, and the petcock strainer as well, since more dirt and varnish will be found in them and might just plug the carb again once you get it running. Be careful here though, as some carb cleaners will attack rubber parts, so make sure the cleaner you get will not deteriorate rubber or plastics.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:43 am 

i worked on it all day yesterday and what i did was clean the gas tank and lines and took the carb off and cleaned the jets and put it back on and put it togather and i was getting gas to the carb but it wasnt letting it into the bowl.so i took it apart and cleaned the hole where the fuel gos into the bowl and i could blow into it and hear it comeing out the bottom so i put it back to gather with out the float for kicks and gigles and i had gas comeing out of overflow tube and i knew it was going to happen because that is the point of the float is to shut off the gas flow and it started right up and drove it around for like 15 mins and took the carb off and put the needle and float on and put it back on the 4 wheeler and it wasnt getting gas to the bowl and i know that the float is not sticking..it seams like the float is to big for the bowl.?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:29 pm 
ATVing To The End

You are one step ahead of me. :mrgreen:

Does that model have a plastic or metal float? Seems like it would be metal. Make sure it does not have gas in it. They do spring leaks and fill up with gas. Then they don't "float'. LOL

Could be that someone rebuilt the carb with the wrong parts kit. Or attempted to fix a leaking float with a junk yard part and got the wrong
float.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:15 pm 

found out today that i had the float in upside down.lol an the float was cracked and its a plastic float. so i bought a new float and it should be here by monday..thanks for your help haha

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:18 am 
ATVing To The End

Well, that would do it. I am surprised at the plastic float. I had a TRX200 as well, and I am pretty sure it was metal. But that was many moons ago, so who remembers. :wink:

Anyway, glad you figured it out.