ATV Source.com | Calendar | ATV/UTV Reviews | ATV/UTV News | ATV/UTV Product Reviews | ATV/UTV Racing | ATV/UTV Trails | ATV/UTV Videos

ATVSource.com Social Community Forums

ATVSource.com is a social community site based on the needs of ATV/UTV fans alike.
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: somewhat stupid question
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:54 pm 
Still on the Trailer Member

Hey everyone. I have a question It is kinda stupid. If you flip a atv can some one please tell me how to jump off and also if a 350 pound atv got on top of a 90 pound kid would they be okay?

ADVERTISEMENT

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:46 pm 
ATVing To The End

Depends on whether it is flipping backwards or rolling to the side.
Flipping backwards it is best to jump off to one side, rolling over it is best to jump straight up and let the quad roll out from under you.

I would guess a 350# quad on top of a 90# kid would do some damage to the kid, and not hurt the quad much. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:18 pm 
ATV Enthusiast Member

tjatvfan12345 wrote:
Hey everyone. I have a question It is kinda stupid. If you flip a atv can some one please tell me how to jump off and also if a 350 pound atv got on top of a 90 pound kid would they be okay?

Roll it going 5 mph and you should be ok. Do it going full speed and the outcome will be different.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:49 am 
ATV Enthusiast Member

yeah no kiddin TrailDad! It's happened to me twice, both times on an aluminum ramp.
First time it was slick with ice and as I went up we went off the left side. I bailed off- no real harm done- cover the white spots in the plastic with stickers.
Second time I was backing down and it stalled right as we reached the balance point- there was a pause of. oh, 3 or 4 minutes! [seemed that way] then the front end slowly came up and I was hoping I would not land on the ramp on my back. Missed the ramp tho it might have been better hahaha I held my position: hands on the grips and feet on the pegs, and had a 400 lb quad leaking gas on my chest! I just rolled to one side and it hit the ground....more stickers! but I was none the worse for wear.
AT SPEED is something REALLY serious and that's a hard one to call. To get away or stay with it? Only you can call it at the time, sorry! Most people try to get the heck away from it but depending on the terrain you may need it to protect you from further injury. There's just no way to call it IMHO and I've been riding 44 years now. The best I can tell you is:
1. WEAR safety equipment. Don't even unload it without a helmet! If it is running then someone should have a helmet on, STRAP TIED.
2. Don't ride alone- you can get hurt and DIE within site of the portacan. Nobody wants THAT in the newspaper.
3. Use common sense and obey the rules, esp in the pits. If you cut cookies and dust out my lunch I'll be over mad as heck to enjoy YOUR lunch! just use your brains.
4. THINK before you act! Don't fly over that dune unless you know what is on the other side!! WE buried a friend of mine at 19 cuz the dune had changed in one week. That's their job! check it out first man, the morticians are busy enuf.....
5. Put on your safety equipment and GO HAVE FUN!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:47 pm 
Still on the Trailer Member

Hey man,
I mean ive experianced those crazy predicaments, and THEY-R-JUST Crazyy!!MAN.
First, you must push off as hard as possible from ATV untill you r in a rolling forward motion. The tuck your head and pray for the best that you dont hit nuttin. And if a 350 pound quad hit ya, youd b dunski's. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:40 am 
ATV Nut Member

You should avoid flipping as much as possible.

But yes- I'd say that a 350lb. quad would significantly damage a 90lb. kid, he'd be better to avoid it as much as possilbe. :-)