ATV Source.com | Calendar | ATV/UTV Reviews | ATV/UTV News | ATV/UTV Product Reviews | ATV/UTV Racing | ATV/UTV Trails | ATV/UTV Videos

ATVSource.com Social Community Forums

ATVSource.com is a social community site based on the needs of ATV/UTV fans alike.
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: NEW BIKE
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:16 am 
Still on the Trailer Member

I'm looking to buy a new bike. preferrably a used one. probably around a 02-04. just something thats a 4x4 that i can fix up to dog it in the mud. im a big honda fan but a few of my friends just bought some kawasakis and im just looking for something with alot of power that was made in or around that year that has alot of power that can take me through almost anything. ive heard bad things about suzuki, kawasaki, and polaris because if the belt gets wet then it slips and your pretty screwed. any truth to this?? and any good suggestions on a bike to get from an 02-04?

ADVERTISEMENT

Post subject: Re: NEW BIKE
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:07 pm 
ATVing To The End

Any quad with a belt can get it wet and slip. Honda does not have a front differential locker, so that makes them less desirable in the mud for some folks. In the model years you are looking for, the Foreman 450 might be your best bet, as there are many out there.
However, to be a good mudder will require some power mods and much larger tires to get the frame further from the ground. Do NOT get an ES model for mudding.

Right now, Polaris seems to be the serious mudder's quad of choice.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 6:18 pm 

i was looking for something that i can buy for 2000-2500 dollars. something i can fix up to just dog out. i looked at the new hondas and they are out of my price range. even the 06's cost too much right now. a few of my friends have kawasakis and all of them have had belts slipping and two of them had broken axles. honda seems much more costly to fix if anything ever does break, but belts are much easier and cheaper to fix then messing with gears. i was looking on putting at least 26 inch tires, probably mud lites then going with HMF utility pipe and new wheels. if i ended up with a honda maybe a gear reduction too.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:17 am 
ATVing To The End

Did you ever find a quad?

Hondas seldom break, at least mine have not. I only know of one Honda to ever break an axle, and that was a Foreman with mud paddles welded to the rear axle. It broke the axle at the weld. So it was not a Honda situation, it was a mod situation.

However you are right in that a swamped Honda will cost more to fix than a swamped belt driven quad, since the corrupted oil will get into the trany as well as the engine. But I will take my chances. Best way to avoid big repair bills with any quad is to never allow the engine to suck in mud or water. And that can be accomplished with snorkels, intake as well as trany vents, carb vents, ect. Of course in a roll-over it does not matter, and I have seen a lot of roll-overs when riders went just a little too deep. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:18 pm 

i found a few 07's and 08's ranchers already fixed up with tires, rims, exaust, and snorkels for about 4-6 grand. i did find an 06 kawasaki bayou 700 i think for 2200 with exaust, tires, rims, snorkel, and moose programmer. still going to look around some more as the bank doesnt want to give me a loan.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:50 pm 
ATVing To The End

There is no such thing as a Kawi Bayou 700.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:21 pm 

didnt research much into kawasaki, but the guy told me bayou 700

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:48 am 
ATVing To The End

The Bayou series is 185 cc, 220 cc, 250 cc, and 300 cc. For $2200, it is likely a Bayou, just not a 700. They are manual shift quads. A decent line-up. I believe the 300 came in a 4wd version as well. Any will serve you well. They are tough and dependable for the most part.
I have owned a 220 and a 300 2wd. I had no trouble with either.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:04 pm 

no, he said 700. wasnt a bayou then.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:42 pm 
ATV Nut Member

kajunboy89 wrote:
no, he said 700. wasnt a bayou then.

There is a 700 V-Force and a 700 Prairie, no such thing as a 700 Bayou though. The closest thing to a Bayou style is a 700 Prairie.