ATV Source.com | Calendar | ATV/UTV Reviews | ATV/UTV News | ATV/UTV Product Reviews | ATV/UTV Racing | ATV/UTV Trails | ATV/UTV Videos

ATVSource.com Social Community Forums

ATVSource.com is a social community site based on the needs of ATV/UTV fans alike.
It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Yamaha vs Honda 4x4
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:17 pm 
Still on the Trailer Member

Hello. I'm in the market for a used 4x4 four wheeler. I can't decide between a Yamaha or a Honda. Which is the best? Thank you

ADVERTISEMENT

Post subject: Re: Yamaha vs Honda 4x4
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:31 pm 
ATVing To The End

There is no best. There is only what you decide you want. I am a Honda man for various reasons, one of which is a Honda MC was the first motorized vehicle I ever owned. And, I have always had excellent luck with them. You may decide Honda doesn't offer the features you want, or Yamaha doesn't have a close dealer, or you can get the best price on a Kawasaki. Even though I have owned 3 Suzukis, 4 Kawasakis (2 bikes, 2 Quads), and 1 Yamaha, I always end up back with Honda. Personal choice, as will be yours.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:38 pm 

Well, the "best" as far as reliablity, performance, service ablity, resale.... Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:43 pm 
ATVing To The End

I will say Honda. A die hard Yamaha fan will say Yamaha. A big time Polaris fan will say Polaris. What can you expect? Honda has always had the best reputation for reliability, and the worst rep for performance. You have to decide what is most important to you.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:58 pm 

Well, I grew up on Yamaha so I'll probably go that route???? Anything I shoud be aware of when buying a used one? Looks like Yamaha's top is the Grizzly, then the Kodiak & then the Big Bear? What's the average miles and/or hours per year on one of this Models, etc? Thank you

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:11 pm 
ATVing To The End

No way of determining an average miles or hours. Totally depends on the owner and his/her riding/use habits. I suppose 600-1000 miles per year might be a common figure.

As for used, buy a 2002 or newer if you go with a Yamaha belt drive model. They greatly improved the belt system about that time.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:15 am 
ATV Junkie

When it comes to overall durability and reliability, Honda beats all the rest. How much Honda beats the rest depends on the actual brand. From what I've been able to determine, Yamaha and Suzuki pretty much tie for a very close second place in reliability and durability, while Arctic Cat would be a very close third.

But Honda sometimes falls a bit behind elsewhere.

For instance, Honda has no front differential lock. I expect they may soon have it, since they offer it on the Big Red UTV.

The value of a front differential lock varies based on terrain. But I would rather have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. And there have been many times I either needed it to keep going, or it would have greatly reduced the effort needed to keep going.

Yamaha also offers a broader range of utility machines. As far as I know, they offer the most models out of all the manufacturers. So you have a larger selection.

I think Yamaha also offers more IRS machines than anyone else. Honda certainly falls behind in the number of IRS offerings.

The Rincon is a nice machine, but it has no low range and only 3 forward gears. By contrast, the Grizzly 700 (which is in the same class) has a low range and a continuously variable transmission, which has a much broader range of ratios. The Grizzly certainly would be better for steep hills and rock crawling.

So the Grizzly 700 versus Rincon gets my vote mainly due to it being more suited for a larger variety of terrain due to differential lock and CVT, as well as more ground clearance.

So although I can't really say for certain which one is the best (due to variables such as the individual rider and type of riding), when you figure in the Honda's legendary reliability and durability, that evens the score a little.

But even then, since Yamaha is so close in reliability and durability, I would still favor Yamaha.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:27 pm 
ATV Enthusiast Member

What size of machine are you looking to get? Auto or manual transmission? Type of riding your going to use it for? What's your price range? Each machine will shine over another in certain situations.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:12 pm 
ATVing To The End

You will have to forgive William, he tends to be long-winded. :mrgreen:

The man has already decided on a Yamaha, so all this Honda vs. Yamaha talk is irrelevant. toodeep has asked the right questions, which we both have failed to do. We don't even know what type of terrain he will be riding.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:40 am 
ATV Junkie

I haven't read yet where he decided on a Yamaha. He only said he will "probably" go with Yamaha.

Yes, I can be long winded. But I like to explain with enough detail so that no one misunderstands. I like to put as much information out there as I can from the very beginning.

This also helps to avoid arguments, such as certain past discussions where the value of a front locker or Honda's lack of a front locker were argued about... :wink: