ATV Source.com | Calendar | ATV/UTV Reviews | ATV/UTV News | ATV/UTV Product Reviews | ATV/UTV Racing | ATV/UTV Trails | ATV/UTV Videos

ATVSource.com Social Community Forums

ATVSource.com is a social community site based on the needs of ATV/UTV fans alike.
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:26 pm 
Still on the Trailer Member

I'm going tomorrow to look at a 2003 Yamaha Grizzly 660 auto. It's a one owner, has 1330 miles, 278 hours, factory winch and other than one replacement battery and fluid changes is all original. It's in the "Camo" paint scheme. Owner states NO past or current problems/troubles other than the normal scratches and the camo has faded. He did state that one time he went into water that was deeper than he expected (up to the transmission) and that the drive belt wanted to slip and that he had/did change the transmission fluids...??? Is this a big/common problem?? Also, are there anythings that I should be look for, ask the seller about, etc???? Any comments, suggestions, etc is greatly appreceited. btw...he states that he'd like to get at least $3000 cash for it....????? Thank you

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ADVERTISEMENT

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:50 am 
ATVing To The End

Yes, water in any belt drive will cause slippage. Yamaha's belt housings are sealed better than most, but eventually they all will leak and slip. The older they are, the more likely will be the tendency to get water into them. Best solution: stay out of the water that is over the floorpans.

NADA states an average retail of $2945. He has priced it fairly.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:49 am 

Is this a good deal, etc??? I've read both good and bad reviews for this Model/year! "Boiling gas," CV's, IRS making is top heavy/tipping easy, etc??? Is this a Model/year to avoid???? Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:50 am 

ihb

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:43 am 
ATVing To The End

Any IRS model is more top heavy than a SRA model, since they sit higher. IE: more ground clearance. Not a problem except in extreme off-camber riding. But you will learn to compensate for it.

A buddy had a 2003 660. He got about 5000 miles out of it before he started having problems. But, he beat it to death as well. The boiling gas deal was never a problem for him, since he rode it like he stole it.
:mrgreen: That was a problem only for granny riders.

I would not avoid it from what i have heard and seen. Of course with any used quad (and some new ones for that matter) you take your chances, since you never really know how it was well taken care of and used or abused.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:06 pm 
ATV Junkie

I agree, it sounds like a fair price.

If you buy it, I would remove the CVT cover and check the rubber seal. Replace it if needed. Whether you replace the seal or not, spread a liberal coating of some type of water resistant grease (such as boat trailer wheel bearing grease) on the seal and the surface it mates to. This will help insure water tightness, will keep the rubber healthy, and will help to keep it from sticking when you remove it again.

Also check to make sure the CVT drain plug seals good.

Once that is done, locate the CVT air intake and exhaust. This will give you and idea of how deep you can take it. If need be, make a mark of the height of the CVT intake/exhaust on a fender so you can try to keep it from going too deep.

I've had my Wolverine way above the floorboard and up to the shifter with no problems.