ATV Source.com | Calendar | ATV/UTV Reviews | ATV/UTV News | ATV/UTV Product Reviews | ATV/UTV Racing | ATV/UTV Trails | ATV/UTV Videos

ATVSource.com Social Community Forums

ATVSource.com is a social community site based on the needs of ATV/UTV fans alike.
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:15 am 
Still on the Trailer Member

I have a question about the "transmission" for the 06 Big Bear. On the Yamaha website it list in the specs for the transmission as a "5-speed Automatic Clutch w/Reverse." Does that mean it's gear or belt driven? Also, the specs data list the "drive train" as a "shaft" and does that mean it shaft driven from the transmission to the differentials? Also, in the "drive train" specs it doesn't mention any locking differential and/or locking 4WD. Is that correct for this model; NO locking differential and/or locking 4WD? The "locking" info above isn't listed for the 06 Kodiak either but is listed for the 06 Grizzly. If the 06 Big Bear in question doesn't have the "locking differential" and "locking 4WD" like the 06 Grizzly, is this a big deal, loss, etc? Also, is it a big deal, etc that the 06 Big Bear doesn't have the full floor boards? Any and ALL comments, suggestions, etc are and WILL be greatly appreceiated! btw...I'm looking at the 06 Big Bear in the pic below to possibilly purchase if my above "concerns" aren't a big deal, etc. As far as my riding surrondings, etc I'm in Middle Tennessee so I'll be riding on farms, some small mountains, etc you know your typical trail riding. Nothing major as far as BIG rock climbing, MAJOR steps hills, etc. As far as my physical(s), I'm 40, 205lbs and in very good shape. I'm I in the right direction for my possible 4x4 four wheeler choice. Again, Thank you

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ADVERTISEMENT

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:03 am 
ATV Official
ATV Official

The transmission is gear driven, not belt. The term automatic refers to the clutch, no lever. There is a drive shaft connecting to both the rear and front axle. It is on demand 4x4, push a button to engage the front drive. The rear drive is a solid, ie locked, axle, the front has a differential, no locker on the front. The lack of floorboards is to allow for a toe shifter on the left side.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:25 pm 
Still on the Trailer Member

Hey "Geezer." Thank you for your info, comments, etc. Is not having a locker on the front and floorboards a big concern, etc? Also, is this a highly rated 4x4 four wheeler? Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:47 am 
ATV Official
ATV Official

Until the automatic belt drives hit the markets, very few atv's had floorboards. They tend to collect and retain mud and debris more. Some like floorboards, others don't. The front locker was seldom seen until the manufacturers started the feature wars.

The Big Bear is Yamaha's answer to a no frills, manual trans unit, very popular to the "mud crowd". On any unit more than a couple years old, the individual bike's use and maintenance history is far more important than the make/model.

The bike you have in the picture seems to be very well mainained and hardly abused, going by the picture alone and your description from another thread. You must inspect it in person. The only thing I'd be cautious off if it has been babied all it's life, it isn't going to like being mistreated now.