ATV Source.com | Calendar | ATV/UTV Reviews | ATV/UTV News | ATV/UTV Product Reviews | ATV/UTV Racing | ATV/UTV Trails | ATV/UTV Videos

ATVSource.com Social Community Forums

ATVSource.com is a social community site based on the needs of ATV/UTV fans alike.
It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What size to get?
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 5:23 pm 
Still on the Trailer Member

I'm looking into buying a Yamaha Grizzly, but can't decide what size to get for my price range which would either be the 350 or 450. It will be my first buy but I have ridden before. I'm 36 and 190 lbs. I don't want to do anything crazy. Just some recreational trails.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post subject: Re: What size to get?
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 8:45 pm 
ATVing To The End

If you are not a hot rod, do not plan to hit the mud holes, and only intend to ride moderate trails, the 350 would be more than adequate. You may, however, change your perspective as to what you want to do as you see and experience others doing it, so do not leave the 450 completely off your wish list. Better to buy more than you need now than to need more than you have later.

For the first 20 years or so of 4 wheeling, there were no 50-80 hp quads, and we all got a long just fine.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:50 am 
ATV Official
ATV Official

Woods has offered some good advise, as usual.

Mine would be to buy as much as you can afford initially. A lot of folks have under bought initially, only to wish later they had gone bigger. Buying small now only to resell or trade a year from now is way more expensive than buying bigger first.

Welcome to the board, and enjoy that new ride. It is definately a great hobby and sport to be in.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:37 pm 
Still on the Trailer Member

Thanks for the replies guys! Now I have decided to buy a used one with around 900 miles on it thats a 660 yamaha grizzly. It doesnt have power steering or fuel injection which people at work are telling me I need. I found another with fuel injection and its 1600.00 more... I'm guessing since people got along with out those features for so long I really dont have to have them.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:17 pm 
ATVing To The End

Why is it that some folks think we NEED power steering I will never know. Just another thing to break and end up a costly as hell repair. Fuel injection is a good thing, but NEED it? I do not think so. I can see someone out west wanting it to keep from having to re-jet for different altitudes, but not anywhere else.

I am 60, smallish in size ( 5'8" 174 lbs.) and have no trouble steering my Rincon. It does not wear me out, I can go all day, and keep up with the younger riders with their PS. For a woman or a young kid I can see the benefit.

When a carb screws up, a lot of us can fix it ourselves. When FI craps, it is off to the shop and a $400 minimum repair bill. Give me a carb and a can of carb cleaner any day.

Get what you can afford and forget the others who tell you what you need. Just because they need it does not mean you do, or I do. The men of the younger generation are becoming a bunch of wimps.