ATV Source.com | Calendar | ATV/UTV Reviews | ATV/UTV News | ATV/UTV Product Reviews | ATV/UTV Racing | ATV/UTV Trails | ATV/UTV Videos

ATVSource.com Social Community Forums

ATVSource.com is a social community site based on the needs of ATV/UTV fans alike.
It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:32 am 
Still on the Trailer Member

Hey all. I am going to get a v-force soon and i was wandering a few things about it. First have there been any issues with the quad since it cam out. Heating? transmission? Etc. Second does anyone know what the top speed for it is? Third, when I get it I want to do some upgrades. What are some good upgrades out there. They don't have to be the best i just need some that will hlep that big motor breathe. I heard they had some problems breathing on the high end. Any help with these questions would be great. Thanks ahead of time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:22 pm 
ATVing Obsessed Member

As far as modifications: Exhaust System, Jet Kit, Air Filter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:07 pm 

Thanks for telling me what i asked you? Which brands to buy. I guess my question was a little vague. Sorry about that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:17 pm 
ATVing To The End

The first thing you need to do is install aftermarket tie rods, or tie rod sleeves tack welded in place. The tie rods on the V are weak
as h*ll. I have a relative in the hopsital now because one folded on him at 40 mph in a farmers field. A riding buddy got a V a month ago and already the rod on the right side has a 10 degree bend in it.
I have heard other stories of the same type of problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:16 am 

I agree about the tie rods. I still have the stock ones and have had no problems, but I've hard about enough people having problems with them that I think they probably need at least a sleeve.

Top speed of course depends on altitude, and an altitude optimized setup is required to get the most out of the quad. From what I've read and seen and heard, and my own experience measuring speed with a GPS while shooting across a dry lake, the stock V-force will do 70+/- a couple, and is a little slower at top speed than a stock raptor (although it's definitely quicker off the line than the raptor). It seemed to me that my V was getting plenty of air with the stock air box and filter and that it was simply rev limited from going faster, but more air is always good and that's an easy mod to do.

Again, from my research and not because I've done all the mods myself, getting more top speed out of the raptor is one of the more difficult things to do (but not necessarily expensive). It's not a horsepower limitation as much as an ignition timing/rev limitation. According to their website, Yoshimura has an ignition rev box coming out for the v-force in Jan 2004. Dalton offers a replacement clutch cover that they say is for racing applications only but anything that spins faster is good.

Getting more acceleration out of the V is easy. The stock clutch spring is for babies (such as me) and many modified springs (EPI, Dalton.) are available with different shift characteristics. This is the best mod there is for the automatic transmission and offers instant, easy acceleration gains. Then of course you do the standard stuff... exhaust (DMC Alien duals are popular and I think are the exhaust of choice of Team Green), re-jet, k&n.

Just my .02.

Post subject: V force
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:38 am 

Go to Kawieriders.com for more info about the v force than you can stand. The alien and HMF pipes are the ones that seem to be working the best for v force owners. I do not own one yet . I hope to sell my race quad soon. ( Houser chassis with CRF450 motor) and get a V force. Good luck on finding your answers There is plenty of great info there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:20 pm 

Thanks fellas. Thats a lot of help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:59 pm 
Trail Riding Member

If a guy was buying a quad for speed ....wouldn't he want a standard?? How does A shaft differ from a chain??? I'm just a woman trying to get some insight that's all. I do believe the raptor is just as fast as the V-force....I just don't understand if a guy wanted speed...why would he want the V-Force if it weighs so much more!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:46 pm 
Trail Riding Member

mamakat wrote:
If a guy was buying a quad for speed ....wouldn't he want a standard?? How does A shaft differ from a chain??? I'm just a woman trying to get some insight that's all. I do believe the raptor is just as fast as the V-force....I just don't understand if a guy wanted speed...why would he want the V-Force if it weighs so much more!!!!
A shaft drive is less maintainance. The V-Force is a fast, fun easy ride. I have had atvs and atcs that you shift gears on all my life. I do not miss the shifting! The V-Force is a cadillac compared to others. :grin:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:50 pm 
ATVing To The End

The most important and first mod that should be done to a V is the driven clutch spring. It can yeild much better acceleration, more efficient use of the powerband, and in some cases higher top end. As FlashTurbo says, the orginal spring is made for the beginning rider.

At Kawieriders.com there is a chart showing various springs and the benefit from each. The EPI pink seems to be a good all around spring for GP riding.

Mamakat, if you are talking raw speed, or racing, a chain and standard clutch and manual trany is better. It will deliver maximum power to the real wheels. But a shaft will give better durability under adverse consitions, and less maintenance, as happy has said. Having owned both and not being particularly concerned about max speed, I will take a shaft everytime. And
while I am not real fond of belt drives, Kawi seems to have the best around.
You hear very little about trouble with Kawi belts, soemthing that us not true of other brands.