ATV Source.com | Calendar | ATV/UTV Reviews | ATV/UTV News | ATV/UTV Product Reviews | ATV/UTV Racing | ATV/UTV Trails | ATV/UTV Videos

ATVSource.com Social Community Forums

ATVSource.com is a social community site based on the needs of ATV/UTV fans alike.
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 1:57 am 
ATVing Is My Life

The CVT mod is the first on any list when talking auto quads, but I always say go for better suspension before power. A good suspended quad with stock power will be faster in every riding situation (except straight line drags then who really cares) when compared to a stock suspended quad with added power.
On the 400ex I have seen quads turn in 2 seconds a lap faster with nothing more than a good set of shocks and I have seen stock suspended 400ex's with a bunch of hp mods turn in slower times because it could not get it to the ground.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 10:44 pm 
Still on the Trailer Member

When you first buy it check your oil level, because if it's over filled I heared that it'll suck the oil into the air box. Just a little tip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 8:58 am 
ATVing To The End

My Rancher did the same thing. When I took it in for first service and got it back, it was 1/2 quart overfull.

It sputtered and died the first time I rode it after unloading, and would not restart. I looked at the plug, wet with oil.
I though,t blown rings already. Junk! Then I looked in the air box. OIL.
The foam filter was soaked. I dried the plug and sqeezed out the oil in the foam, drained the excess oil, and it started right back up.

That dealer will never see my Rancher in his service dept. again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:57 pm 

Having done quite a bit of riding now, I agree with Daimon about the first best mod being the suspension. While the V-Force does ride relatively low for such a huge quad, those Elkas will lower the ride height by over 2 and add a bunch of travel as well. The only time I every said to myself "I wish this thing was a little faster" was when I was racing my brother's raptor across a dry lake (like glass) and he beat me at the top end by what seemed like 3 or 4 mph. But when riding the whoopdees or sharp curves on trails I'm always wishing I could go faster in the turns and over the bumps. Don't get me wrong, the V-Force is a great trail rider especially for long trails... in my opinion it's better by far on the trails than the DS-650 and the Raptor (I've ridden trails with both and they all get the job done about the same but at the end of the day I'm in a lot better shape than my Bombardier and Yamaha riding buddies) but lowering by 2 inches and adding something like 2 inches of wheel travel in the front and a whole inch in the back is just incredible and will definitely make the thing that much more fun to drive, whereas adding a bunch of power wouldn't enable me to go any faster over the bumps or through the turns. But jeeze 2 grand for the full Elka package? How am I going to talk my wife into that? :grin:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:44 pm 

rancherman2001 wrote:
Hey all. I am going to get a v-force soon and i was wandering a few things about it. First have there been any issues with the quad since it cam out. Heating? transmission? Etc. Second does anyone know what the top speed for it is? Third, when I get it I want to do some upgrades. What are some good upgrades out there. They don't have to be the best i just need some that will hlep that big motor breathe. I heard they had some problems breathing on the high end. Any help with these questions would be great. Thanks ahead of time.

Hey, 1st time at this web-site. I have a V-Force. The tie-rods are week, get titanium if you can. Modifications aren't cheep, I'm looking myself. Dual exhaust, twist throttle (if you can find one, I can't), nerf bars, Boondocker nitrus kit if you want to fly. I'm looking into a bigger front bumper, DG Fat maybe. Bigger Fuel tank you will gain .8 of a gallon only but it is still more!!!
I've had no problems other than the tie-rod bending. Scarey fast, don't krack the throttle unless you're leaning over the handlebars and holding on. Have fun, be safe...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:06 am 
Trail Riding Member

body english. is how to trail ride the vforce fast. plus tranny kit ,cdi,dual hmf's . of course i don't want to spend the 2 grand on the elka package either. and i can't find any other.who makes aftermarket tie rods for it? mine aren't bent yet but rocks and hills here in wv will bend them if they can be bent. i went from a 500 scrambler to my vforce so it really dosen't seem that heavy to me . guess it's what you get used to. i throw my 170 lb ass from side to side and hammer the throttle and i do pretty good in the woods. but more travel would be sweet for less than 2 grand.