ATV Source.com | Calendar | ATV/UTV Reviews | ATV/UTV News | ATV/UTV Product Reviews | ATV/UTV Racing | ATV/UTV Trails | ATV/UTV Videos

ATVSource.com Social Community Forums

ATVSource.com is a social community site based on the needs of ATV/UTV fans alike.
It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Big Problem
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:57 pm 
Still on the Trailer Member

Ok here is the situation, in great detail. I have a 03 Kfx 400, the bike is stock. I get up the morning of the ride to check my oil and there isn't anything on the dipstick. I couldn't get ATV oil so I had to put motor oil into it. I put the same viscosity and weight of 10w40 into it. After riding for about 20 to 30 mins I pulled into that stop point and checked the oil and it was spewing out like a water spout. I smelled it and it smelled a lil bit like gas. I have changed the oil after about 4 to 5 hours of ride time. That is prolly excessive but, I want my motor to last. I did roll the bike when I first got it with my girlfriend on the back. Do you think this could be caused by the float? Or something more serious? I would like to get any input to help my situation. Why is it overflowing and spewing out of the oil canister? Should I just take this bike in to get it looked at? I wanna get the oil changed and put my new HMF pipe onto the bike but I don't wanna ruin the motor if its something serious.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post subject: Re: Big Problem
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:05 am 
Still on the Trailer Member

This is simple actually...

What is happening is that an abundance of fuel is making it's way from your tank to your cylinder... and then leaking by the rings into the bottom end...

So at this point, you have to find the reason for this.

First look at your carb.
Does it have an overflow drain tube?
If so I bet it is clogged or kinked and can't do it's job.
If not, forget I asked.

Next, you are going to have to pull your fuel line with the petcock off and see if it still lets fuel out of the tank.

Also, in the end you are going to have to pull the carbs and inspect the items that are supposed to be preventing incoming fuel flow to begin with.

Check and see if your float is stuck... that would do it.

If not, you have yourself a leaky needle & seat... that little valve that is opened/closed by the floats, based on the float level. It could be fuel gum or trash that is preventing the needle valve from seating... or it could be damaged by bad fuel... or worn out.