ATV Source.com | Calendar | ATV/UTV Reviews | ATV/UTV News | ATV/UTV Product Reviews | ATV/UTV Racing | ATV/UTV Trails | ATV/UTV Videos

ATVSource.com Social Community Forums

ATVSource.com is a social community site based on the needs of ATV/UTV fans alike.
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:16 pm 
Still on the Trailer Member

Hey I need some help from folks more knowledgeable than I in this department. I have a car for sale and have someone wanting to trade a 2008 Polaris Sportsman 800 4x4 with a 4,000 lb winch. Says it is in like new condition with low miles and hours. Pictures looks to support the description. Can anyone tell me ballpark what the retail valueso I can see if it is comparable to the value of my car? The quicker I can get a response the better! Thanks everyone in advance!

Last edited by jswbiker on Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

ADVERTISEMENT

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:21 am 
ATVing To The End

NADA lists it between $4300 and $5700, depending on condition, with winch. If it is like new ( no scratches, dings, dents, and very low hours), you might consider $6000, but no higher. I would consider very low hours to be less than 100. Also consider the mileage verses the hours. Average is about 6 miles per hour. Lower would indicate it was babied. Higher than 10-12 might indicate it was ridden pretty hard. So if it has 120 hours and 2400 miles, you can bet the rider was into the throttle pretty deep most of the time. Most trail riding is done at fairly low speed.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:04 am 
ATV Official
ATV Official

Let me offer a conflicting opinion. While the information Woods gave you is spot on correct, full retail value is what a dealer would hope to sell the unit for. In todays real world market, the average consumer is goinjg to try its best to buy at the lower end of the value spread, in this case $4500 tops.

If you want to sell the car in order to purchase an atv, then this might be a good deal. However, if your goal is to unload a car, hoping it would be easier to sell the atv, not so. It probably wouldn't be any easier to resell the atv than the car.

Good luck, and welcome to the board. Drag up a chair, and set and chat a while.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:24 pm 
ATVing To The End

Agreed! If I was looking to purchase that ATV, with cash, I would start my offer around $4000, and might go $4500-4700 if it was cherry. But for a trade, with no cash out of pocket, I might consider a higher value IF I wanted an ATV, and IF I wanted rid of the car. Those are some pretty good "IF"s, however. Like geezer said, if you are thinking you can unload the car for the ATV and sell it faster, think again. The ATV market is somewhat depressed currently.

Caution: If this ATV is on the Internet, proceed with great caution. If it is local, it would be much better. Never make a deal over the Internet, there are way too many scammers on here.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:50 pm 

Hey thanks for the insight guys. I am asking 4500.00 for the car (suzuki samurai with lots of extras, new engine, trans, transfer case, tires, lift kit, top etc). I just bought a Jeep so I am not interested in keeping the Sami any longer. However, I figure the atv could be a fun replacement. I just want to make sure I am making a decent financial decision (Don't want to go in the hole on the deal). They guy is local and we are arranging a meet to take a look at each of the items. I like the input on the hours vs miles, I never really considered that aspect. If it is truly in the condition he says it is in, I may come out with a fairly even trade, which would be a win-win in my book. I will let you know how it goes.

I am new to the site so I will browse around and see what else I can find here. The opinions/help is appreciated!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:02 pm 

Don't know where your at, but here in southern Oregon, big off road area. if the atv is what he say's I'd trade in a heart beat. atv's are at a premium here. My brother broke down and bought a new Sportsmen because he couldn't find a decent used one.