ATV Source.com | Calendar | ATV/UTV Reviews | ATV/UTV News | ATV/UTV Product Reviews | ATV/UTV Racing | ATV/UTV Trails | ATV/UTV Videos

ATVSource.com Social Community Forums

ATVSource.com is a social community site based on the needs of ATV/UTV fans alike.
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hot 99 Sportsman 500
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:48 pm 
Still on the Trailer Member

My quad is steaming when I plow snow or ride it hard. the coolant is not getting low. replaced cap, hose look ok at the rad. The steam is minimal and I can't tell exactly where it's coming from other than around the rad. Any idea's. Thanks Jim

ADVERTISEMENT

Post subject: Re: Hot 99 Sportsman 500
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:28 am 
ATV Official
ATV Official

I'm sure you've already checked, but older modeol Sportsman had a bad reputation for the radiator getting plugged with mud/debris.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:11 pm 

Yep clean as a whistle, is there a thermostat other than the one for the fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:30 pm 
ATV Official
ATV Official

A couple more items to consider, in no particular order. I'm just rambling here.

If it's only steaming when you're plowing snow or riding hard, are you hitting casual water? Snow and/or water could just be splashing up and hitting the hot radiator.

Does your fan kick on and off as it should? IE is it getting hot and staying there? Have you flushed the system and changed the fluid?

You mentioned a thermostat, as far as I know, there is only one. Have you checked it?

As I said, just grabbing straws here.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:09 pm 

fan seems to be working properly, comes on and goes off. I have had it steam a little on dry ground.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:25 am 
ATV Official
ATV Official

I'd think that if the fan is cycling normally, then you're not necessarily running hot. I'd not worry too much as long as it's running ok.

About the only component left we haven't talked about yet is the water pump. I suppose it could be seeping a little, but I'd think you'd notice a little loss of fluid over time.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:04 am 
ATVing To The End

I have seen snow build up under my plowing quad's gas tank, and, as it melts, steam comes up as the water drips down on the hot engine or exhaust pipe. And this is on an air cooled engine (Rancher), so I know for sure it is not coolant loss. :wink:

Like geezer said, if your coolant level is not lowering over time, chances are you do not have any leaks or overheating. However, if the steam is consistently coming from around the radiator, but is highly intermittent, I would suspect a small hose crack or loose hose clamp. Keep a close eye on that coolant level, and check it only when the engine is cool, so you have a consistent reference level. Might even mark the current level on the reservoir with permanent marker.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:58 pm 

Well spring is here, beautiful day, pulling the trailer around and am getting steam. It smells like anti-freeze. My levels has stayed consistent. Have taken the plastic off the front to see better, and there is nothing to see. My buddy said maybe it's boiling ! I have no way off telling the temp, but the fan does come on. just not very much if it is boiling. Stumped.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 9:55 pm 
ATVing To The End

Then you must have a tiny leak in the coolant system some where. Pin hole in a hose, hose clamp not tight enough, pinhole in the radiator, water pump leak, gasket leaking, something. You say the steam is coming from around the radiator, so that is where to concentrate your investigation. Might try to pressurize the system (when cold) with a radiator pressurizing air pump and use dish soap and water to find where it bubbles. But if it only leaks when hot, a cold check may not show it. Check the hose clamps first.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:52 pm 

Trailored the atv to the radiator shop and had it pressure tested. Held 13 lbs for about 10 mins. Guy said that maybe when bike got warm the tank was expanding and leaking around top seals on the core. recommended boiling, rodding, and replacing seals. Ok how much, $200.00. I say whoa. Wanted to give him my business cause he tested the system for me, but the guy down the road said he'd do it for $90.00. He did everything told me is wasn't leaking before or after. Been pretty busy and haven't been able to really work it out, but what little riding I have done seems to be fine. :?: