ATV Source.com | Calendar | ATV/UTV Reviews | ATV/UTV News | ATV/UTV Product Reviews | ATV/UTV Racing | ATV/UTV Trails | ATV/UTV Videos

ATVSource.com Social Community Forums

ATVSource.com is a social community site based on the needs of ATV/UTV fans alike.
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:51 pm 
Still on the Trailer Member

i received a rare mesage thru a privatte message, i had to log in to view the content ,from some person from africa saying that their father was killed and they need help to get out of their country and also to take out a big amount of money; after i read the message in the bottom they had asked to reply dirict to theyr personal hotmail address; wich i didnt; i only logged once to be able to read the message.
what's up with that?

ADVERTISEMENT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:55 pm 
ATV Enthusiast Member

Sounds like spam. No doubt you would have been told to send a money order or something with the promise of a big reward when they made it out of the country. Of course they would cash the check and you would never hear from them again. This sounds like the kind of thing that is sent by email all the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:28 am 
ATVing To The End

Anytime you get such a PM, do not immediately delete it, Instead, forward it to user ATVSource so admin can get the IP address and ban the sucker.

I made this thread sticky so more ATVSource members will get the message not to delete, and perhaps we can get these spammers under some control.

Post subject: thanks for your message
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:44 am 
Still on the Trailer Member

hi my friend, hanks for your message.
it looked to me like a spam,that ie the reason i didnt reply to theyr personal hotmail address; what was rare is that they contacted me thru a privatte message,wich i had to log in to read it; is normal yo have to log in to read a privatte message? if yes,i guess is ok,but if not i guess i had logged in in to a cloned page of this site wich i hope not.
wen i logged in everythuing looked normal to me,nothing rare, the message sent to me appeard in "my messages" and with out delay i searched in the users list and actually that person appeard as registered user,but two days later,i went to se if the emsil was stull in my messages to send it to a moderator,and the emil is gone also i can find a the user name anymore. i went thru the hole list and nothing, now i dont remember the name but if i see it i will be able wich one is it.
the only thing i have related to that is the firt email sent to me,wich i will like to forward to a high autorithy in this site to see if is a clone page or what,who are the autorithys in this place?
the only thing that worry me is that i had to log in to read the message,i hope i didnt log in on a cloned page.
now een you loged io a clonned pagen ,the only thing they have access is to the information you submitted wen you registered in this site correct? or can they access extra info? wen you registered in this site bessides regular info,it was anything compromissing they requiered like credit card numbers or other things? because the thru i dont remember.
now if you know a high autorithy please let me know who is or just forward this questiont to that person please.
i want to make sure i didnt do anything unsafe.
thanks for your help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:47 am 
ATVing To The End

Admin needs the username of the sender, otherwise he/she cannot be banned. Copy it and paste it into the message at the top.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:32 pm 
Trail Riding Member

We got hit by that same spam 2 to 3 months ago over at QuadCrazy.