ATV Source.com | Calendar | ATV/UTV Reviews | ATV/UTV News | ATV/UTV Product Reviews | ATV/UTV Racing | ATV/UTV Trails | ATV/UTV Videos

ATVSource.com Social Community Forums

ATVSource.com is a social community site based on the needs of ATV/UTV fans alike.
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

what dominates the pack
yamaha YFZ450 29%  29%  [ 9 ]
suzuki R450 26%  26%  [ 8 ]
Honda 450R 29%  29%  [ 9 ]
yamaha banshee 350 10%  10%  [ 3 ]
kawasaki R450 (i know its not released yet) 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 31
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:08 pm 
ATVing Pro Rider

Spraguepsycho1 wrote:
The original Cannondale frames were aluminum, not sure about the new ones, Psychosis would be able to tell you about the newer ATK frames.

There's no difference. The engine cases are different though and I have one of them. The frames are still ones that were left over of the hundreds from C'Dale factory close.

Parts are the easiest and cheapest things to find. I am rebuilding 3 engines right now. Two cranks getting checked out, one new superstroker Falicon crank, 3 new piston kits, random parts, an entire head, new head builds on two, extreme porting on one even etc, all for around $1500. You couldn't touch that w/any other brand for a single engine. And none of them are staying stock. Two 450's and one 495.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:44 pm 
ATVing Obsessed Member

Parts might not be an issue if you have time to wait for them, but what if you're gone on vacation riding in the dunes for a week, and something breaks? I can find dealers for Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Can Am and Polaris in almost any decent sized city, ATK only has 3 dealers in Oregon, and they are all over 3 hour drive from the coastal dune riding area from what I can tell looking at the ATK website. Their nearest dealer to me is 2 1/2 hours drive away (in good weather). ATK didn't even have a dealer located anywhere near the Los Angeles area posted on their website yet, so I can only imagine how long it will take for them to get a dealership in Klamath Falls where the population is only around 21,000 people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:44 pm 
ATVing Pro Rider

That brings a good point and as to why I believe they will fail like C'Dale did. A good platform and whether anyone actually knows or not, probably the best responding engine for a race machine ever built. Guys are getting in the 60hp range at the rear wheels while staying under 500cc and w/ like a $1000 budget. Joe Byrd's race quad from last year w/the best of everything that won the ATVA championship wasn't even pumping that.

It amazes me in the technology all the time. But you're right on parts. I have spares of virtually everything but the average rider won't. My closest dealer is actually about 3hrs away as well. I usually just order parts if needed and here in 2-3 days but I see what you mean. If you're out on a trip and a part breaks you're SOL. I give it another 2yrs and they drop the line. The new Moto quad actually comes w/ Fox Evol shocks, but the price is still too high.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:57 pm 
ATVing Obsessed Member

Hopefully we're both wrong and they will actually get more dealerships going so their customers wil have better access to a local dealership for parts and service. Looks like they have a great product, but without the support network the other big manufacturers have set up, I fear they are just fighting a losing battle. I also would like to see their prices come down a little more in line with their competition, with the new Kawi 450 comming out with an aluminum frame and fuel injection, and a price that I'm sure will be competetive, it's only going to get harder for ATK to anchor themselves securely in the market place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:20 pm 
ATVing Obsessed Member

getdrunk wrote:
What about the crf and yz hybrids??? Stock their fast as built 450s.

There's no such thing as a "stock" hybrid. Not much stock about stuffing a more powerful 450cc engine into a 400ex frame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:00 pm 
Still on the Trailer Member

450r