ATV Source.com | Calendar | ATV/UTV Reviews | ATV/UTV News | ATV/UTV Product Reviews | ATV/UTV Racing | ATV/UTV Trails | ATV/UTV Videos

ATVSource.com Social Community Forums

ATVSource.com is a social community site based on the needs of ATV/UTV fans alike.
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Which is the best ATV?
Honda Rincon 680 17%  17%  [ 5 ]
Yahama Grizzly 700 28%  28%  [ 8 ]
Polaris Sportsman 700 28%  28%  [ 8 ]
Suzuki KingQuad 700 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Kawasaki Brute Force 650 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Arctic Cat 700 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Can Am Outlander 650 14%  14%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 29
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:46 am 
Trail Riding Member

Grizzly. Best balance between power, price, and features. Hard to beat the EPS too.

ADVERTISEMENT

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:19 am 
ATV Junkie

Beregid wrote:
grizz needs better stock tires to make it close to best in class. tires are too narrow and too tippy for such a big quad. i don't want to have to buy tires to make my 6-8k quad more stable.

Maybe.

However, apparently whatever bad traits the Grizzly 700 has, compared to the 12 he's owned in 10 years, they are NOT bad enough to change his mind.

And also, how many 4wd utility owners in this class of ATV (regardless of brand) leave their stock tires on anyway? I've heard numerous complaints about stock tires on pretty much every brand, on both here and Nyroc.

And when it comes to what makes a great ATV, tires are only one factor out of many.

I was once worried about how tippy the Brute felt. I rode one (at a dealer) with aftermarket tires and wheels a couple of years ago, and it was scary. Then I test rode mine before I bought it used (which came with aftermarket tires and wheels), and found out that it wasn't tippy.

Maybe the one at the dealer had the tire pressures too low? I don't know. But there are various factors that can affect your perception about an ATV.

Last edited by William on Wed May 14, 2008 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:26 pm 
Trail Riding Member

i actually love my stockers. until they wear out they'll stay on the bike. they are the polaris pxt extreme's...i think actually made by carlise. if this pole is on modded bikes, than thats a whole new ball game. i assumed it was about best all around stock purchased bike. if i'm paying for it stock, i want there to be value in every aspect of it. i don't want to not have my front end lock both tires in or lack the ability to do so, and i don't want to have to put on new tires to change the ride characteristics of my quad i just paid some hard earned cash for. adding tires should be for a specific use, you go muddin, get some muddin tires, snow..same thing. i bought my quad to be the best value for what i was going to pay without having to buy new parts to make the value equivalent to what i paid for in the first place.

i will give the grizz its due for being and exceptional bike. my father-in-law has one with 27" itp 589's and its a beast in the mud. the power sterring makes a long day on the trails or in the ruts easy work.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:53 pm 
ATVing To The End

Suitability of tires depends entirely on how you use the quad. For example, for general trail riding and ripping around on hardpack, I find the stock tires that came with the Rincon to be excellent, while most find then sorely lacking. Of course, the "most" might be doing other things with their Rincons.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:35 pm 
ATV Junkie

True, this poll isn't about modified ATVs. And Polaris utility ATVs do seem to come with better tires than most, so I can see why you would like them.

But what I was trying to point out is that people tend to not like stock utility ATV tires, regardless of if it's a Yamaha or any other brand. I don't think that the tendancy to be like that is Yamaha specific.

Also true is what Woods says. I think the bottom line is that the manufacturers generally equip their machines with tires made for GENERAL riding, like the ones on his that he likes. One reason is cost (they probably have a contract for so many tires at a discounted cost per tire, plus they are a cheaper made tire), and another is that many people tend to replace them with different tires because they don't like them and/or want a specific purpose tire.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:35 pm 
Trail Riding Member

very true, it is understood that anyone that sells anything typically gets in bulk what is cheapest that will work on what they are putting out. I base my decisions on polls like this on stock condition when first purchased, no mods. With that being said, the grizzly is kinda tippy. Also, the kawi's fall in same boat. My buds i ride with all the time have a brute force 650 with crappy 25 inch dunlops, and a grizz 700 with equally crappy 25 inch stockers. both bikes if turning to tight without spinning rear tires to bring it around, wants to go two wheels too easily. the tires are tall and narrow. really that is about my only complaint about the grizz, my father in law has 589's on his, it takes care of the tippy issue. also the grizz and kawi's have a hold in the single swing for a trailer ball. this makes the ball way under the rack, and way low to the ground. if you have a trailer and the jack doesn't swing up parallel with the trailer tongue, it may drag. also, the kawi's stock racks are kinda flimsy. i can push on the corner of the rack and it has to much give in it. i went this weekend and cleaned up the stuck mess of a grizz and a kawi on the huntin lease behind my house. they had stockers on it. i backed up to each one is succession, hooked a chain to them and pulled then out in two wheel drive. the worst feeling to me is to spend the kind of bank we spend on bikes, and have [profanity] stockers ruin a great quad.