ATV Source.com | Calendar | ATV/UTV Reviews | ATV/UTV News | ATV/UTV Product Reviews | ATV/UTV Racing | ATV/UTV Trails | ATV/UTV Videos

ATVSource.com Social Community Forums

ATVSource.com is a social community site based on the needs of ATV/UTV fans alike.
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Off-Roading or On-Roading? (ATVs/Dirt Bikes) vs. (Street Bikes)
Wait a lttle longer with the ATV (until gas prices really get ridiculous). 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Stick to off-roading! (No better freedom) 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
Try something new! (On-roading is the fab) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Sell the supra and do both! 67%  67%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 6
 Post subject: on-road or off-road??
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:05 am 
Still on the Trailer Member

Hey guys...i've been riding for years and years and nothing makes me happier. I have a passion for our extreme sport. But lately i've been noticing a lot of street bikes around including friends and family getting them. So it's really been tempting to retire from the off-road scene but i just dont know. There are so many pros and cons for each. Riding off-road: Freedom from any speed limits or traffic / getting dirty / freestyle or jumping but getting harder and harder to actually find places to do so. Riding on-road: Alternate means of transportation for fuel efficiency and ease of traveling to certain places / father wanting someone to ride with as he has his own new big bike / chick magnet but cops always there waiting for you to do one mph over the speed limit. My other passion is my car though so maybe just leaving that to continue being my on-road adventure. lol-IDK! Thanks for your decision and or any opinions....

ADVERTISEMENT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:34 pm 
ATV Junkie

Buy a dual sport or convert a dirt bike to street legal. Then you can ride along the black top and when you see an interesting detour, off you go. All this and 50+ MPG to boot. Been my passion for 35 years.
Suzuki V-Strom
Suzuki DRZ400
Yamaha Wolverine

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:28 pm 
ATV Junkie

I agree, if you can only have one, get a dual sport. Yamaha has 2 new 250s that are fuel injected. One has more street oriented tires, the other more off-road oriented tires.

I used to have a Kawasaki KLR250 dual sport, and I loved it. It was my first motorcycle.

However, I have come to prefer having both a streetbike and ATV. I once rode my KLR to an off road riding area and got stuck real bad in mud. If I had been on an ATV, I could at least have been pulled out and could have loaded it on my trailer and just went home, making it home fairly quickly. As it was, it qiut running, so after getting it unstuck I had to catch a ride with someone so that I could get my truck and utility trailer and come back to get it. I got home really really late that night, and had to work the next day.

Another thing I discovered is that an ATV is safer overall. I broke my collarbone riding my KLR in one accident and sprained my wrist in another, both off road. I also had many spills, usually due to soft Florida sand (have yet to have a street accident). I've never been hurt riding an ATV, and an ATV handles Florida sand much easier.

I would have both a streetbike and ATV.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:46 pm 
ATV Enthusiast Member

Very timely topic. I just bought a dual sport dirt bike yesterday. It is a KTM 530 EXC R that I plan on riding to work and back once the weather warms up a little bit. It also works well off road, and earlier today we rode the course from one of the local motorcycle desert races from last year.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:06 pm 
ATVing Obsessed Member

I didn't vote because I didn't like any of the options by themselves lol. I'd keep the atv and the Supra (need a car for the bad weather days anyways), and buy a a streetbike. A dual sport is ok, but if you're going to be riding with your father who's on a big street bike, you'd enjoy it on long rides much more on something designed for pure street riding, than on a dirtbike with lights and mirrors lol.