ATV Source.com | Calendar | ATV/UTV Reviews | ATV/UTV News | ATV/UTV Product Reviews | ATV/UTV Racing | ATV/UTV Trails | ATV/UTV Videos

ATVSource.com Social Community Forums

ATVSource.com is a social community site based on the needs of ATV/UTV fans alike.
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Torque or Horsepower??
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:07 pm 
Still on the Trailer Member

Which one would be better at hill climbing/trail riding? Would you need more, torque or horsepower :?:

ADVERTISEMENT

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:20 pm 
ATVing To The End

torque - hp is rpm related. torque is not.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:21 pm 
ATV Junkie

Torque.

Horsepower is important for top speed. However, for most riding and slow speed, technical riding on rocks, as well as work related chores, torque is definately more important.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:07 pm 

budmc77 wrote:
Which one would be better at hill climbing/trail riding? Would you need more, torque or horsepower :?:

Tourque is KING!!! 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:23 pm 

My rubicon has three different transmission modes. D1 for horsepower and performance, D2 for torque, and ESP for electic shift. So would it be better then to drive it in D2 in the hills?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:48 am 
ATVing To The End

budmc77 wrote:
My rubicon has three different transmission modes. D1 for horsepower and performance, D2 for torque, and ESP for electic shift. So would it be better then to drive it in D2 in the hills?

Not necessarily. D2 is mostly for towing, mud bogging, ect. D1 is best for most riding, hilly or flatlands.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:05 pm 

Thankx
So what about 4x2? Would it be a good idea to ride in 4x2 in the hills and 4x4 only when it gets steep? Or in 4x4 all the time? And what would the advantages of a 2 wheel drive over a 4 wheel drive?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:25 pm 
ATV Junkie

Well, 4wd will help you make it through what 2wd can't. However, 4wd can also get you stuck deeper than 2wd because you can go further before you get stuck.

You would need to know how to read the terrain and test mud for depth BEFORE you proceed into something that can get you stuck, and also get a feel for what the machine can and can't do. Once you do this, you can safely take a 4wd where a 2wd can't go without getting stuck.

As far as leaving it in 4wd, it depends on the terrain. In Florida, I leave it in 2wd until I actually need 4wd. Sandy Florida trails tend to allow for faster riding, and 4wd sometimes makes it harder to handle and steer (a liability while going fast).

In Kentucky, with the clay-slick mud and steep hills, I leave it in 4wd. This allows engine braking to brake all 4 wheels instead of making the rear wheels slide, which can cause the rear to slide around to one side (very bad when going downhill). It also ensures that all 4 wheels brake evenly when I apply the brakes, increasing control while braking instead of having 1, 2, or 3 wheels locking up and causing an unintentional direction change.

4wd also adds traction for hill climbs, which in Kentucky tend to be slick enough to cause the rear wheels to spin without trying to make them spin.

I would get a 4wd machine, because it would be better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. I would also get a machine that has a front locker for the same reason.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:44 pm 

Thankx
Very helpful!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:28 pm 
ATV Enthusiast Member

The speed you need to make the hillclimb can also affect whether torque or horsepower are most important.

For very technically difficult hillclimbs that have rocks, rock ledges, tree roots, etc, where slowly turning all four tires are what is needed to maintain control and forward momentum, you are going to want a lot of torque.

For a nearly straight up hillclimb up a 700 foot high sand dune, where maintaining wheel speed and staying on top of the sand are what is needed to maintain forward momemtum, you are going to want a lot of horsepower, and you can afford to sacrafice torque.

As an example, a Yamaha Grizzly 700 would be expected to better at the former type of hillclimb than a Yamaha Banshee. But a Yamaha Banshee will absolutely blow the doors off of a Yamaha Grizzly at the later type of hillclimb.

3TV