ATV Source.com | Calendar | ATV/UTV Reviews | ATV/UTV News | ATV/UTV Product Reviews | ATV/UTV Racing | ATV/UTV Trails | ATV/UTV Videos

ATVSource.com Social Community Forums

ATVSource.com is a social community site based on the needs of ATV/UTV fans alike.
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:26 pm 
Still on the Trailer Member

I have a 2000 Arctic Cat 500 Auto. Good machine with not a lot of use. I notice that when I try to start it I will get a single click when the starter button is pressed. It is not the sound of several clicks from a low battery. This is a single click. This may happen up to 5 or 6 tries before the starter will actually engage. Any thoughts on what may be wrong?

Thanks!

ADVERTISEMENT

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:38 pm 
Still on the Trailer Member

sounds like you have a bad starter or maybe moisture in the starter. when i does it, tap it with a hammer. this should jar the armature enough to get it to spin. if it does, then you need a new starter. if not, check the amp draw down on the starter to make sure you're getting enough power.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 11:47 pm 
Trail Riding Member

Its probably just the starter solenoid,disconnect the wire at the starter. connect a tester to the wire when you push the button if you get twelve volts, the starter is bad if not ,the solenoid is bad. Ive seen more bad solenoids then starters. however if you have been cranking on it alot trying to get it to start then it may be you starter.