ATV Source.com | Calendar | ATV/UTV Reviews | ATV/UTV News | ATV/UTV Product Reviews | ATV/UTV Racing | ATV/UTV Trails | ATV/UTV Videos

ATVSource.com Social Community Forums

ATVSource.com is a social community site based on the needs of ATV/UTV fans alike.
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:49 am 
Still on the Trailer Member

Does anyone know how to adjust the clutch on a 01 arctic cat 400 4x4 manual? There are two adjusting nuts under the little cover on the right side of the engine (1 large & 1 small) not sure what the proper way is to adjust it is. Probably need new clutch plates soon as it has 7000 hard miles on it.

Thanks...Bruce

ADVERTISEMENT

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:37 am 
Trail Riding Member

with that amount of miles you are probably do for a new clutch,certanly if it has never been done before. however first you just loosen the small nut this allows for movement and thats it. then use flat screw driver and a 14mm wrench and then loosen the larger nut. then turn the screwdriver till you feel no resistance,I think it was counter clock wise but not 100% sure. once you can wiggle the screw back and forth with no resistance turn it till it just touches the resistance then back off 1/8th of a turn then lock down the lock nut holding the scrw where it is. after that then lock down the little nut. take it for a test drive if it is still slipping a new clutch is in order.

good luck

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:00 am 

I also have a recent problem with my 2001 400 4x4. However, mine only has about 1000 miles on it instead of the 7000 miles listed in this discussion.

My problem is that all of a sudden (at the top of a hill climb) the clutch would not fully disengage when in gear and sitting with the engine idling. Up until this point, the clutch/gearing worked great.

What would be the most logical problem to look at first?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:38 pm 

I also have a 2001 4x4 with manual shift. Last weekend while riding, I got to the top of a hill and noticed that I could not stop without stalling the ATV. It is like it is always in gear, even when idling.

I tried to adjust the clutch using the instructions given above by Bowser, but nothing seems to dis-engage the clutch enough to idle while in gear. This makes it very difficult to pull out, but once I am moving, it seems to shift OK.

Any thoughts on what else I can do?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:11 am 
Trail Riding Member

it sounds like your centrifical clutch is sticking. you may need to go into the case and check it out. there is no adjustment for that clutch. you may have some broke springs

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:21 am 

Thank you for your reply.

I was also thinking that my problem could be the centrifical clutch. I have never taken one of these apart.

Do you know of any websites that would help show me the way with this? Do you know of any common mistakes a novice could make when taking this apart?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:06 pm 
Trail Riding Member

You may want to look into down loading a repair manual off the web. some web sites have them for as little as 19.99. they will usually walk you through step by step and will be a big help. biggest mistake ive seen is people try to save the old gasket just because it does not have any tears. REPLACE THE GASKET!!!! As far as the centrifical clutch goes,a couple of small c clamps a flat screw driver and some patience and you can have it apart pretty quick. Just remember how it goes back together.