ATV Source.com | Calendar | ATV/UTV Reviews | ATV/UTV News | ATV/UTV Product Reviews | ATV/UTV Racing | ATV/UTV Trails | ATV/UTV Videos

ATVSource.com Social Community Forums

ATVSource.com is a social community site based on the needs of ATV/UTV fans alike.
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:21 pm 
ATV Junkie

I'm wanting to buy a 4wd utility ATV in the 700-750cc size class. So far, I'm considering the Yamaha Grizzly 700, Suzuki Kingquad 750, and the Arctic Cat 700H1 (but not necessarily in that order).

I wish the Arctic Cat offered power steering. That's one thing I would get if I bought the Suzuki or Yamaha. The Suzuki has been known to have a problem with the steering on the non-power steering versions. It seems that under the right circumstances, a person can easily lose control of a Kingquad 750 and crash. But from what I've been able to find out, adding power steering has eliminated this tendency.

Not long ago I read a magazine test that included the Arctic Cat. The biggest complaint of the testers about the Arctic Cat was that the steering was twitchy and nervous acting, especially while going downhill. This wasn't good for rider confidence.

My question is, what do you guys think of the steering? Is it bad enough to be worried about? Although I live in Florida, much of my riding is in the mountains of eastern central Kentucky, and there's plenty of steep trails. I prefer a stable, confidence inspiring machine in the mountains (like my Wolverine 450). So how does the 700H1 do in places like Kentucky?

And how does the 700H1 compare to the Grizzly 700 and Kingquad 750 overall? What are it's strengths and weaknesses, and how does it compare to the others?

ADVERTISEMENT

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:38 pm 
ATVing To The End

I have ridden all but the Grizz 700, but can say for certain the H1 would be my last choice of the three noted. Twitchy steering is an understatement, IMHO. Every AC I have been on had bump steer that went from mildly annoying to horrendous.

Might be fine for crawling along at a snails pace, but with any speed it becomes quite disconcerting, for me anyway. Besides that, the ACs sit too high for good high speed handling. That 12" ground clearance and free articulating IRS yields lots of body roll and push in turns at speed. The optional anti-roll bar should help squelch some of the roll.

For super slow rack crawling it would be great.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:09 am 
ATV Junkie

Yea, one reason why I am considering an Arctic Cat is for rock crawling. The suspension travel and lack of a sway bar should help with that. However, it also weighs about 90 pounds than the non-power steering versions of the Grizzly and Kingquad, which has to hinder it the steeper the climb gets.

By the way, the current generation 700H1 has been lowered an inch and now has 11 inches of ground clearance. In fact, it now matches the Kingquad 750 at 11 inches, and is lower than the Grizzly 700 at 11.8 inches. I think this was a change they made for either the '09 or '08 model year.

So for the Arctic Cat riders, this poses another question, in addition to what I've already asked: Does the new lower 700H1 have less tendency to lean? Does it handle curves better at speed than previous years that had the 12" of ground clearance?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:15 am 
Trail Riding Member

The suspension on Arctic Cats are fully adjustable to either take out the body roll for high speed riding or make it ride like a marshmellow for rock and stump jumping.True it is not very easy to adjust the suspension but the option is there. As far as the steering goes this is news to me cause Ive never seen anything disconcerning about it at all. The 700 has a engine brake on it so when going down hill simply do not touch the throttle and feather the brake and you will remain in control. The Arctic Cat is truly a awsome machine and I hope you give it more consideration and acually ride one before you make a decision. Sometimes they sell them selves.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:30 am 
ATVing To The End

bowzer n va wrote:
As far as the steering goes this is news to me cause Ive never seen anything disconcerning about it at all

All depends on what you are accustomed to. I will concede the H1 was better than the Thundercat on that dept. I came close to losing it with the T-cat on a few occasions because of the flaky steering. We highly recommended a steering dampener to the AC engineers, but they frowned at the idea. It for certain needs one.

Have also ridden an AC 400 in which the bump steer was horrendous.
At speed mind you, only at speed.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:03 pm 
ATV Junkie

Now I read that Arctic Cat is offering power steering for 2010. I would think that would help the steering, so that tiles me more in favor of Arctic Cat.