ATV Source.com | Calendar | ATV/UTV Reviews | ATV/UTV News | ATV/UTV Product Reviews | ATV/UTV Racing | ATV/UTV Trails | ATV/UTV Videos

ATVSource.com Social Community Forums

ATVSource.com is a social community site based on the needs of ATV/UTV fans alike.
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:31 am 
Still on the Trailer Member

It started with replacing the battery, and then the starter mest up and I replaced the brushes and it would crank and crank and finally start, then started fouling plugs just blacking them and I got a new plug installed it it ran fine a few times and now It cranks but no fire. and parts are to expensive to start changing. I don't know if it is the coil or cdi unit but I am not getting any fire at the plug and have changed plug's and still nothing. thanks for the help anyway you can.

ADVERTISEMENT

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:41 pm 
ATVing To The End

The first thing you need to do is go thru the ignition system connectors and terminals and look for loose or dirty/corroded connections.
Good grounds are important for the spark generation, and a corroded or loose one will stop it. The ground at the coil, and
the engine ground from the battery would be where I would start.

With that said, AC's are known for CDI failures.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:45 pm 
Trail Riding Member

you can also check your trigger coil for risistance. there are two wires that come out of the left engine cover and run by the starter over to the right side of the atv.one bunch of wires are three yellow wires this is your charging system, the wires you are looking for are the black and yellow wire and the green and white wire. With a ohms meter connect red test lead to the black/yellow wire and black test lead to the green/white wire. the meter should show between 90 and 140 ohms. By the way you should also unhook your battery before you do these test. The trigger coil is where the fire is generated and then is sent to the cdi and then to the ignition coil. I can hold in one hand the number of cdi units I have had to replace and I dont mean stacking them on top of one another. I m not saying that your cdi is def not the problem, Im just saying the other coils go bad more than the cdi's do.woods runner makes a good point about the connections, they will drive you crazy looking for them. I have seen wires break inside the insulator and I would have never found it with out running ohms test. a good multimeter is a wise investment

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:10 pm 

It is strange how it all started with replacing the battery because it would not hold charge and then starter locked up and I tore apart to find the start brush busted and installed it and fired up every time for a day and then it got to where it would crank and then foul plug and I could clean the plug and then it started and I got it home and then it has not started since. I have ohmed every thing out according to the book and the only thing I have found out of secuence is the cdi unit but my atv dealers around here just want to sale me one to try but I really think it is the magneto or stator. but I have been told that the flywheel may have lost the magnetts on it. but will the stator still ohm out good if the magnets are off the flywheel.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:01 am 
Trail Riding Member

Yes you check the ohms without turning the engine over. The magnets come into play when turning the engine over and you are checking the output. usually the magnets on the 300s are ok it was the 03 -05 400s that had a problem with the magnets coming lose.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:42 pm 

I have omhed everything out and it seams to be good can the rectofier keep it from firing. I checked the cdi box today on a friends bike it worked jus fine. I am stumped.