ATV Source.com | Calendar | ATV/UTV Reviews | ATV/UTV News | ATV/UTV Product Reviews | ATV/UTV Racing | ATV/UTV Trails | ATV/UTV Videos

ATVSource.com Social Community Forums

ATVSource.com is a social community site based on the needs of ATV/UTV fans alike.
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: lookin at new 08 700 ac
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:01 pm 
Still on the Trailer Member

I am lookin at new 08 700ac what can i expect might go wrong with it. I have had a 02 650 kaw. ok bike but had a lot of problems w/ it gald it is gone. the dealer is lettin the ac go for 5500.00 out the door. hope not to much for a 08 model.

ADVERTISEMENT

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:24 am 
ATV Official
ATV Official

Strictly my opinion, and it's worth absolutely nothing, but you asked for it.

When that bike was new in 08, it should have retailed for somewhere around $7700. The dealer is only offering about a 30% reduction for a bike that is in effect 4 years old. The minute you leave the lot, it is now 4 years old, even though it is "low mileage". According to Kelly Blue book, it's worth about $3500 wholesale, and according to NADA, about $4500 retail.

A bike that has sat unused for four years is subject to having all the seals dried out, dry rot in the rubber components, and brittle plastics. For $5500, I'd pass. If you can get him down somewhere into the low 4's, then maybe it might be worth the gamble.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:54 am 

Thanks for the price advise. I am more concerned about how the bike will hold up in the long run. I mostly keep my atv for 7 plus years and have about 7 to 8 thousand on them when i get rid of it. My 02 kaw. 650 was a piece of junk at 2000 miles i just suffered though the last 5000 miles having it worked on so much i could have traded every year a still came out ahead. I have a farm and most of my miles match my hours on the unit. so alot of slow go idling around. This unit has the suzuki motor not the ac H1 motor. should i be concerned which motor is in the ac. My neighbor farm has a 700 suzuki king quad and has about 1500 mile w/ no problem yet so i know the suzuki motor is somewhat ok. but is the H1 better? Also is the supension upgrade that big of differance.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:48 pm 
ATV Official
ATV Official

I haven't followed the AC line, so can't comment on them. The 700 KQ had some problems in the early years with a bad design in the transmission, and some problem with the steering geometry. The problems didn't appear except in hard use, so if you're only working and not racing thru the woods and huge mudholes, you shouldn't have problems.

Again, about the only thing I can add is my orginal concerns of a bike setting unused for that long. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:38 pm 
ATVing To The End

I have to agree with geezer on the price. Too high for a almost 4 year old quad, even one that has never been ridden. A key point would be the warranty and dealers service dept., in my view. I would ask around at various MC and ATV hangouts to see how well the dealer handles warranty jobs and how good his techs are at fixing problems. Like the old boy says, dried up seals, dry engine top end, and other potential problems are very real on an engine/driveline that has sat for say three years at a minimum.
Unless the engine was started occasionally to distribute the oil and keep things lubed and fully warmed up to drive out moisture (which is highly doubtful), I would be cautious.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:04 pm 

The dealer said they just put it together 2 weeks ago. I asked where the atv had been for the past 3 years and dealer said ac had them stored in a warehouse near where it was built. The dealer said he has sold 8 atvs in 2 weeks. 4 on ebay which i looked up and he was telling the truth per the commits. I did find out he sold one 700 08 at 5650 last Thursday. He stated they gave him a discount to sale 10 different ac units so he was passing it on to me. I have been shopping for a few weeks and this has been told to me from two different dealers. They both had some of these units. I lot has been sold for 5400 to 5300 and i was a day late contacting them. but they did have dealer fees which made the price more than i found on this one. 5500 out the door but i must pick up 200 mile drive so i will have to use my local dealer to service. they r a good dealer but their atvs r made of gold when u buy one.
I am also looking at a 2010 ac 700 camo w/ front and rear bumpers passenger seat box on back of rack. note this is a one seat atv. an mud tires. Husband died and wife don't need brought new in 9/10 and has 21 miles on it. she is asking 6600 but i got her down to 6300 but she wont go any lower the dealer told her not to go under this amount. she said the bill of sale was 8200 and add ons were 800.00. what u think?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:11 pm 
ATVing To The End

When ATVs are manufactured they are not fully assembled before they are packed into crates, with the handlebars off, some with the wheels and tires off, but the frames and engines are fully assembled at the factory, no matter where they are stored. The 2008 models have been in crates for at least 3 years. My previous comments still stands.

The 2010 700 sounds like a better buy to me. At least you know it hasn't been sitting for years.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:47 pm 

Thanks for the advise.

So tell me what kind of atv i should buy for farm use?
i go about 1000miles a year and and my hours r as much as my miles lot of slow going.
I do a lot of pulling equipment around even stuff way more then the atv is suppose to handle. Lot of mud/snow in winter.
Things i want in a atv:
1. Must be in depended in rear
2. half diff. lock up front
3.be able to handle daily use with out major repairs.
4 handle mud tires
5 efi is one other i think i will like or the carb.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:46 am 
ATVing To The End

For towing heavy items I would get a SRA quad. They are considerably stronger in the rear end. Since you are riding slow and easy IRS is not required, unless you have a really bad back. With heavy loads, IRS tends to squat. Towing is hard on the bushings/bearings in the IRS rear ends, since the rear wheels are attempting to drive forward, but the frame, due to the load, is trying to stay still. Which manufacturer is totally up to you and the best deal you can get.

And, since you want a diff lock, that leaves all the Honda quads off your list. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:30 pm 
ATV Junkie

As far as buying a new machine (as in never been titled) that is 3 years old goes, the machine may do okay, or it may have problems.

My first motorcycle was a new-in-crate '98 Kawasaki KLR250 street legal dirt bike (dual-sport). It ran great and was super reliable. I bought it new in 2001.

However, any time I would take it off road, it would have carburetor problems.

What had happened is that due to age, the strainer in the tank had broken off. Also, apparently it had been test-ran at the factory, and the minuscule amount of gasoline in the tank had turned to varnish. So when I would take it off road, bouncing around would cause bits of varnish to get into carb.

I tried rising the tank out several times but it never got all the varnish out. Eventually, I installed an in-line filter, and that fixed the problem.

Other than that, there were no other age related problems.

As far as the warranty goes, the warranty starts the day it is sold, regardless of when it was manufactured. So I wouldn't worry about that.

Arctic Cat seems to make a good durable and reliable machine. I'd rate it right up there with Yamaha and Suzuki. And in some ways, they are better. Things such as CV joints and axle shafts are stronger built.