ATV Source.com | Calendar | ATV/UTV Reviews | ATV/UTV News | ATV/UTV Product Reviews | ATV/UTV Racing | ATV/UTV Trails | ATV/UTV Videos

ATVSource.com Social Community Forums

ATVSource.com is a social community site based on the needs of ATV/UTV fans alike.
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Keep it clean!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:52 am 
ATV Enthusiast Member

The Titling Bill HB 1081

Over time, I'm sure your club has received reminders to mail in support letters or email representatives in support of trail issues. The situation I am sharing with you far surpasses any of your previous concerns. The Titling Bill HB 1081 has become an immediate situation that will impact all OHV's such as ATV's, snowmobiles, motorcycles, etc. The bill was driven by a Western Slope ATV dealer. He saw this as a way to prevent buyers from traveling out of state to purchase new OHV's in order to escape tax charges. After careful study of the bill, here are a few of the implications associated with Bill 1081.

Here are just a few of the possible changes, let's see if there is reason for you to be concern:

Annual ATV registration fees just like your automobile
Operator age restriction requiring a drivers license (Remember, its a motor vehicle now)
When transferring the ownership to a buyer, all the DMV requirements will go into effect including a mandatory bill of sale
Mandatory insurance
Colorado Emissions Test required for all front range motor vehicles regardless of age
Regardless of which state you purchase your OHV, a tax will be imposed when you attempt to complete your Colorado registration
All OHV's will require annual registration including farm or race vehicles that are not intended to be used on public land
The OHV sticker grant funding for trail expansion and maintenance will no longer exist. All your funds will go to C-DOT (Colorado Department Of Transportation) not to your trails
The titling bill will not allow you to drive your OHV's on paved or county roads.
Rep. Ray Rose's "ATV Titling" bill, HB 1081 is attached in PDF format. It is scheduled to be heard in the House Transportation & Energy Committee (list of members attached) Wednesday, Jan. 26, 1:30 p.m., in Room 112 of the Capitol Building. This bill would require all ATV's, dirt bikes, and snowmobiles to have titles. It also uses the motor vehicle code, Title 42 and sub articles, for definitions. There are a host of problems with this legislation, and COHVCO STRONGLY OPPOSES IT. Please contact any legislator on the committee to express opposition to this bill to unnecessarily title ATVs for the benefit of one person in Colorado.

While the committee will hear from representatives from COHVCO, it’s simply not enough. Sending a representative from your club or riding organization to be heard in front of the House Transportation and Energy Committee is highly advised. The importance of this bill is not the question, the question is how important is it to your club that this bill doesn't pass? This bill all but went away after efforts by COHVCO and the Dealers Association. Representative Ray Rose resurrected it at the last moment and has substantial support at this point. With out an appropriate amount of opposition, it is very likely this bill may pass. Getting this message out to your fellow riders is the right thing to do.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:25 pm 
ATVing Is My Life

I don't see the issue unless I am missing something.
In Louisiana you have to register and title an ATV, all of them! To ride on public land the registration sticker must be up to date ond on the ATV. You don't need insurance though. If you buy an ATV you mill pay tax to the state, if it's new or used. If you come from another state you are suposed to register and title your ATV and that means paying tax again even though you payed it in another state. Now not everyone does and I don't know of anyone getting haseled about it but having a title does protect you, it helps you prove ownership.

I don't like the money not going to trails and such but at least we are now getting some of the road tax from gas and that has helped build a few new trails around here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:40 pm 
ATVing Obsessed Member

It is the same in Ohio except you are supposed to also have insurance I believe (because you have to sign the same form you sign for a vehicle registration claiming to have insurance). The sticker fees do go to the state trails but all the rest is the same. Titles, registrations, etc. are now being enacted so the state can get some extra money but it makes it alot easier to deal with stolen quads as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:53 pm 
Trail Riding Member

This particular bill may have some problems. Where the funds go, whether insurance is required, and restrictions on who can operate are not necessarily a function of requiring registration or a title. Mandaotry titles are one way of enforcing a tax that you already owe if you buy an ATV out of state.

My state of Wisconsin has a required registration run through the Department of Natural Resources. You need to a permit (i.e., you must register) to use an ATV on any land except land that you directly own (not merely have permission to use). The permit allows you access to all state funded trails. The fees are directed to a trust fund that provides money for ATV trails. No insurance required. Full sized ATVs may be operated by anyone 16 or over, 12 and over with a one-day safety class. Under 100cc sized ATVs may be operated at any age, with adult supervision. Frankly, its a system that helps deter and catch theft, and provide funds for state trails. While not a fan of state government in general, this is a very well thought out and run program.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:52 pm 
ATVing Obsessed Member

I agree, Ohio's laws are very similar and they seem to help the atving community more than they hurt. While I don't like that you have to pay tax for an item more than once we are already used to it with auto titling. I also think mandatory insurance is a good thing. And I believe tying the operation into the state's drivers license (this is not the case in Ohio) is a good way to deter young atv operators to be more self aware and self concious of the manner in which they operate an atv.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:50 pm 
Trail Riding Member

You already owe the tax on the sale, whether or not your state adopts a title requirement. It's just that without the mandatory registration, they don't have any easy way to find out about it and to make sure it is collected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:03 pm 
Still on the Trailer Member

Yall need to come to Texas. No licence, no insurance, no taxes, no registration, and no one cares.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:08 am 
ATV Nut Member

Give me your address Bub I'm on the way to your house in Texas with my camper, pickup truck and ATV.. :grin: :grin: OH and the Beer cooler!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:20 am 
ATV Junkie

Glad i live in Va! Dont have to have any of that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:01 pm 
Trail Riding Member

I can see paying regesration for snowmobiles, which I do, only because there are many trails for them. With quads I have to go down to pa to go riding. If there are trails, then i would be with it. If not, then its not right. Later.