ATV Source.com | Calendar | ATV/UTV Reviews | ATV/UTV News | ATV/UTV Product Reviews | ATV/UTV Racing | ATV/UTV Trails | ATV/UTV Videos

ATVSource.com Social Community Forums

ATVSource.com is a social community site based on the needs of ATV/UTV fans alike.
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Keep it clean!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:17 am 
ATV Junkie

How often does anyone ever think about worst case scenario accidents when your out riding and enjoying the outdoors? I know I do everytime i start the motor up. How many of you know Basic First Aid? How many Know CPR? Would you know how to get one of your friends out of a deep forest or mountainous trail? Statistics for injury cause by ATV Misuse has skyrocketed the past few years. but this isn't what Im talking about. Im talking about being prepared for something to happen. Would you know what to do and get it done? This is one of my specialties and would like to educate anyone with an interest to do the right thing and potentially a life saving act of courage and friendship. As ATV Enthuisasts we should have it in our heads of HOW its going to happen instead of WHEN its going to happen,l because trust me it never fails to happen at the worst possible time and place.
I would love to hear some questions and answer them for you concerning first aid out on the trails and anything else concerning injury prevention measures.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:39 pm 
ATV Junkie

I like to backcountry ski and have been Level II certified in avalanche safety. We are basically taught how to keep a person stabilized until the pros arrive. Removing someone from the snowy woods is quite challenging. In case of heart attack or extreme injury it is likely the person will die before rescue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:41 pm 
Still on the Trailer Member

Okay Rebel, you have definitely peaked my interest on this subject. We ride every weekend with 8 family members and friends. Including two young grandsons. Nothing extreme, just trails with lots of water and mud.
My daughter and I each have packed basic first aid kits, band aids, first aid cream, tylenol, eye wash, wet wipes, sun block and anti bacterial gel. I think we would be prepared for a minor mishap, but if a major accident occured, we would be clueless.
My first question is, what other items could we add to the kits? Second, should someone in the group take CPR lessons?
There are always a couple of cell phones and 5 of the adult riders have walkie talkies with helmet headsets. Give me some ideas to be better prepared. Nothing has happened yet, but it could, to anyone of us at anytime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:01 pm 
ATV Junkie

boomerang, Im glad I peaked your interest! I would definately recommend someone in your group and basically as many people that can, get CPR certified and take some valuable lessons. Its good to be prepared for basic stuff and to have an outside contact, that is crucial in case a group gets lost and possibly even have check in times with them. This is tough with back country riding where cellular service is limited at best.
Check with local training facilities in your area to see if they offer basic first aid courses as well.
I adapt extremely well to an emergency in the outdoor setting. #1 rule is to stay calm. Take control of the situation and designate people to accomplish tasks.

For example: Say you are riding and your friend rolls his machine and breaks a leg.......How are you going to tend to him by yourself? Well you can make splints and stabilize aleg with a little training with some things you can gather around you. Then slowly cart your friend out of the area if you can do so without help.

I gotta get off of here for now so stay tuned for some more tips and advice to prepare yourselves better for an outdoor emergency.

Rebel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:08 am 
ATV Junkie

I'd suggest everyone taking a first aid course. But, I know how some of our group is. At the very least, CPR should be taught to everyone.

As for me, we are all trained first responders for our jobs. (not as extensive as you Rinc) :wink:

I always like to be the last in line in our group. Whenever someone says it's my turn to lead, I always ask, who can fix me if I break.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:39 am 
Trail Riding Member

I've been trained in mostly basic first aid and CPR. Most of this training came through BSA which spent some time covering improvised injury care, such as using sticks and belts to make a splint.

I've never really thought about caring for trailside injuries. Most of my riding takes place within about 3 miles of home, so I guess there is a degree of complacency there. 'It can't happen to me!' I know that isn't true, but it's easy to think.

I suppose in a 'worst case scenario' as you describe, our reaction would be to send a rider for help while the others stayed to stabilize the injured person.

Getting emergency responders in to some of our riding spots might require breaking a few ATV safety rules, though, as even a tricked jeep would have trouble navigating some of our trails due to width.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:32 pm 
ATV Enthusiast Member

Oh, thanks!

A buddy went off the side of the hill not long ago and his arm was reaaaaaaly hurt... I mean, looked like it had EXPLODED from inside. but our house is right down the road, so mom took him to the ER. BUT! What if we hadn't been able to help? his buddy came back asking if we had a phone and we stayed to help him while a couple took the buddy down to the hosue.

Another one went off the hill, but there were two other riders beside us. but he wasn't hurt to badly (tho the ATV was wrecked) and a rider took him home. BUT! what if we couldn't do anything?

So yeah, I am SO IN AGREEMENT that ALL ATV riders, regardles of age, need to know at least the basics for ANY thing, minor or major.

Sorry for the bad spelling, have a few minutes and HAD to put in my 2 cents. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:05 pm 
ATV Junkie

Just a little off subject here but this is a medical question. Isn't a fibula what I tell my wife when I've been hanging out with the guys, drinking beer and playing cards :?: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:20 pm 
ATV Enthusiast Member

hostdave wrote:
Just a little off subject here but this is a medical question. Isn't a fibula what I tell my wife when I've been hanging out with the guys, drinking beer and playing cards :?: :lol:

Hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:27 pm 
ATV Junkie

someone has got to have a question about this topic? only a few replies? Lets help educate everyone on how to better prepare for basic fird aid and even some more scenerios i hope no one will have to encounter but if you do you have a little bit of cognitive thinking skills and some advice to make the right choice.

Some ideas for a basic first aid kit that you can put together for 10 bucks.

Bandaids, tape, ace bandages, triangular bandages, hydrogen peroxide, eye wash, burn cream, a pocket mask for cpr, triple antibiotic cream, gauze, chemical cold pack, latex gloves, towel or washcloths, vasoline, corn starch in a bag.

Some of those sound silly but i can make a lot of things happen with those few items.

You can create splints with triangular bandages, and if you can't find triangular bandages, go get an old sheet and cut it into a ton of pieces and thats good enough as well.
Peroxide to clean any small wounds,
Eye wash is self explanatory,
Burn cream for minor sun burns and thermal burns from mufflers or engine blocks. For bad burns such as large 2nd and 3rd degree burns, use the sterile eye wash to clean them and debride the injury site and then uses gauze rolls to keep it clean. put nothing else on them and keep dry and hydrate your body as much as possible.
Cold packs on any bruises and swelling to help reduce the swelling.
If your thinking Vasoline!? I say YEP! If you have a chest injury like a sucking chest wound known as a Pneumothorax, if you coat a 4x4 piece of gauze with the vasoline and use some tape to secure it on 3 sides, not 4 sides, it can help to stop the pneumothorax from growing larger.

Ever get one of those cuts that never quits bleeding? Corn starch can act like a coagulant to aid your platelets in stopping a minor cut or something requiring a stich or 2. It will not help with arterial bleeding and venous bleeding, you need a surgeon for those types of injuries so this is where you will need a few towels or wash cloths to apply pressure to the bleeding site, and remember if you ever do have to use pressure to a large wound, never remove the first blood soaked dressing, just apply more after the first one. sometimes you can get lucky and stop the bleeding but as soon as you remove the first dressing you chance damaging the formed blood clot.

Come one I know you all have questions, even if it is a medical question not directly related to ATVing ask away!