ATV Source.com | Calendar | ATV/UTV Reviews | ATV/UTV News | ATV/UTV Product Reviews | ATV/UTV Racing | ATV/UTV Trails | ATV/UTV Videos

ATVSource.com Social Community Forums

ATVSource.com is a social community site based on the needs of ATV/UTV fans alike.
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Keep it clean!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:16 pm 
ATV Junkie

Went riding in the La Plata mountains yesterday. Got the Wolverine up to just above 12,000 feet at Kennebec Pass. Drove in along the La Plata River on La Plata Canyon Road and unloaded the Wolverine at about 10,000 feet. Followed 3 roads that go to old gold mine shafts. Other than a little trouble idling (set the idle speed up a little) and a lack of power, the Wolverine ran fine. Attached are pics of the ride.

The first pic is looking toward Kennebec Pass on the way up. The notch in the ridge to the left side of the pic is the pass itself.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ADVERTISEMENT

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:25 pm 
ATV Junkie

Beyond Kennebec Pass. Yes, that is fresh snow. You can see the road going down to 2 old and caved in mine shafts. I had hiked down to both shafts 2 weeks ago and had trouble hiking back due to the altitude. And the road is too narrow for my Tacoma. So that's why I brought my Wolverine.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:31 pm 
ATV Junkie

Looking down at the valley below Kennebec Pass. You can see the road I rode in on. You can see a small pond at the bottom of the pic, and just beyond and to the left, you can see a couple of old boilers (the dark spot) to the left of the intersection. They used steam power to operate head pulleys to pull ore cars out of the mines. There's at least 3 mine shafts in the valley. One I've been to (it's closed off), and the other 2 I haven't been to.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:42 pm 
ATV Junkie

A brave guy on a BMW 650 dual-sport motorcycle at Kennebec Pass. I broke my collarbone on a Kawasaki dual-sport in Florida landing on soft sand. I wonder how much it would hurt hitting hard rock?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:45 pm 
ATV Junkie

Fast food!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:47 pm 
ATV Junkie

Looking from a road going to other mine shafts.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:50 pm 
ATV Junkie

Head pulley structure for another mine shaft. I never did see the mine shaft. I figure it was below the head pulley structure. But with me out of breath from the altitude, plus the steep drop off below the head pulley structure, I decided to not try to find it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:17 am 
ATV Official
ATV Official

Great looking pictures William. Sure is a lot different than the country around Ocala, huh? If I can make a suggestion, go back up in about a week or two when the aspens are turning. You won't believe the color, looks like they're starting now. Below is a shot I took from the main road just above Durango last year.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:57 pm 
ATV Junkie

Is that shot from the road going to Cortez, or Silverton? I've been on the road going to Cortez a few times, and I've been the road going to Silverton once. The road going to Silverton is awesome.

I can tell a big difference just since I was there 2 weeks ago.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:12 am 
ATV Official
ATV Official

We were heading south on US550 just north of town, coming from Silverton. Here's another from that day. Coming down off a pass farther north. You can see the highway in the bottom.

I have a nephew and his wife that lives in Durango. They ride that country on mountain bikes.