ATV Source.com | Calendar | ATV/UTV Reviews | ATV/UTV News | ATV/UTV Product Reviews | ATV/UTV Racing | ATV/UTV Trails | ATV/UTV Videos

ATVSource.com Social Community Forums

ATVSource.com is a social community site based on the needs of ATV/UTV fans alike.
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Can Am frames
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:09 pm 
ATV Junkie

I remember them having a Scrambler 400. Seems like there were 2wd and 4wd versions. They still make the Scrambler 500, but although it has more power, it has more weight and less ground clearance.

ADVERTISEMENT

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:44 pm 
ATV Official
ATV Official

The 2x4 version was called a Sport, another brother has one of them still, and the 4x4 was a Scrambler, and they only made them 2 or 3 years. They had the same 400cc 2 stroke motor as the Explorer, but only had a single speed trans, small plastic, and no racks. Light and quick.

About 99 or 00, they came out with the 500 Scrambler, but it was a 4 stroke. Decent bike, but couldn't hold a candle to the 400. These changes all came about because of pressure for the industry to get away from the 2 strokes.

This comment is for Woods, meant to start trouble :twisted: . The brother with the 99 400 Sport finially broke down and had to have the engine rebuilt a couple years ago. The last I heard, it still has the factory orginal belt in it. The bike has well over 10K miles on it. It was his main ride for about 5 years, but since has been relegated to a spare/loaner unit. Problably doesn't have 10 hrs since it was rebuilt two years ago.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:50 am 
ATVing To The End

geezer wrote:
This comment is for Woods, meant to start trouble :twisted: . The brother with the 99 400 Sport finially broke down and had to have the engine rebuilt a couple years ago. The last I heard, it still has the factory orginal belt in it. The bike has well over 10K miles on it. It was his main ride for about 5 years, but since has been relegated to a spare/loaner unit. Problably doesn't have 10 hrs since it was rebuilt two years ago.

All I can say is your brother is either one lucky dude or he treated it better than his old lady. :mrgreen: 10,000 miles on a 2-stroke is almost unheard of in the world of off-roading. Let alone a big bore 2-stroke. I well remember the 'Zuki 500 2-stroke, which required a top end job every 2000-3000 miles. :lol:

Now that we have heard the PoPo BS from our local PoPo enthusiast, we can get back to the topic at hand. And everyone knows early PoPo belt drives were junk. I would assume your brother has relegated it to a spare/loner for good reason. (you want trouble, you got it. :wink: )

If indeed the new CamAm frame adds no weight (which is kind of doubtful if they really strengthened it, since the problem with the old frame is basically lack of steel), perhaps the Renegade would do alright in the sand. But it is mighty heavy as it was. I would just hate to see you, William, sink a ton of greenbacks into a new quad and not have it meet your needs on the dunes. But since you are in no hurry, you have time to observe and evaluate. I am sure the CanAm fans will jump right on it.

One comment: I have an on-line friend who rushed out and bought a Renegade when they first came out. He thought the big engine and 4wd sport concept would be ideal for his riding style (balls to the wall). 6 months later he traded it in on a Grizzly 700, and still has it. I never did hear his reasons for doing so, he would not elaborate. Evidently the Renegade did not meet his expectations in some way.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:03 am 
ATV Junkie

Well that's exactly why I'm doing the research. And yes, he was smart for switching to Yamaha... :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:57 pm 
ATVing To The End

William wrote:
Well that's exactly why I'm doing the research. And yes, he was smart for switching to Yamaha... :lol:

If he was that smart, would you be considering the Renegade? And he had a Kodiak prior to the CanAm, so he went back to Yamahaha. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:12 pm 
ATV Junkie

But notice that I'm also considering 2 machines, and even if I get a Renegade, I would still get a Grizzly, or possibly a Kingquad or Arctic Cat. Or if I get only 1 machine, it would be the Grizzly or KQ/AC.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:35 am 
ATV Official
ATV Official

William wrote:
if I get a Renegade, I would still get a Grizzly, .

Durn, that new power company job must be paying good if you can afford "TWO" new high dollar bikes. You wouldn't be interested in discussing a small loan for a close personal friend would ya?

On a serious note, the reasearch is half the fun, huh?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:44 pm 
ATV Junkie

Yes, I enjoy the research. It helps me to stay up to date on the different brands and models.

With a base hourly rate about 50% more than I made at my last job, plus the overtime I've made combined with things like doubletime on Sunday (versus time and a half), in about 5 1/2 months I'm within $8k of what I made the whole year at my last job. Part has to do with this job being union, and part has to do with this area of the country paying more than Florida.

Anyway, I'm also considering just getting a Grizzly/KQ/AC and keeping the Wolverine and seeing just how far I can modify it. That particular engine is somewhat limited in the aftermarket, but there is a big bore kit for it, cam, exhaust, filter, and maybe a carb with an accelerator pump. Not sure if there's a CDI for it. Then there's machining the pulleys/spacers for the belt. It woldn't be as powerful as the Renegade 800/1000, although I could get pretty close to the 500, and with less weight. Then I may add a front locker to increase front traction (it often spins one front wheel in the sand) and get paddle tires for the rear.

But the first priority is new aftermarket shocks all around.