ATV Source.com | Calendar | ATV/UTV Reviews | ATV/UTV News | ATV/UTV Product Reviews | ATV/UTV Racing | ATV/UTV Trails | ATV/UTV Videos

ATVSource.com Social Community Forums

ATVSource.com is a social community site based on the needs of ATV/UTV fans alike.
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:53 pm 
Still on the Trailer Member

Hi all, Hope someone can help us with this, I don't know much about the Can-AMs, I'm actually a Cat guy, but my girlfriend is a diehard Can-Am / Ski-Doo girl, so I dig brand loyalty, Anyway she got a new 650 May of 07 to ride out on a mountain trip we took, 80 miles from nowhere, the fan quit working, so the onlything we could do is hot wire the fan to run all the time and continued with our trip, calling the dealer later to let them know what happen and they said that was fine. got it back and it was a $1200 modual which I believe she had to pay like a $50 deductable on, less than a month old. well later that year the engine siezed up, took it to a dealer closer to her they rebuilt the engine, bad crank and rod, then limited riding over the winter and first ride in the spring , siezed again, pistons and cylinder, then again, noticed no oil in it less than 50 miles, no light came on or warnings of any kind, anyway, another rebuild, another 100 miles, another rebuild, another 50 miles, done again. 4 rebuilds, $50-$100 a time not to mention drive time and expense, and lost of time riding. anyway that dealer went out of business, and she had contacted BMP several times and it was taken to the purchased dealer 180 miles away, well they've been sitting on it, no calls no nothing, BMP is brushing her off, and prime riding time is upon us. this machine has been in the shop more that in her hands in the past 15 months believe it or not, and of course nobody can believe this motor has a problem, anyway long story short, nobody is willing to help her get back on the trail, does anyone have any ideas of what we can do to get this resolved? it sure is turning a can am brand loyal customer sour. Thanks for any help you can give us.

ADVERTISEMENT

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:13 pm 
ATVing To The End

Hire a lawyer.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:24 pm 

Update, I went down there the next day to see what was the status, would of liked to have gone riding over labor day, they were rebuilding just one cylinder and had parts on order. but no calls or nothing. now its getting close to a month they have had it. Are they just giving us a run around or are parts that hard to come by for a 1 yr old can am? She is trying to get with a Attorney, but that is taking time also. She just wants a machine to ride, and is pretty disappointed in Bombardier. Has anyone ever used the lemon laws for a ATV, Motorcycle or Sled?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:22 pm 
ATVing To The End

It is different in different states, Here we have a Lemon Law that applies to MCs and ATVs. Your state may not.

I am not a big fan of civil suits, but in this instance I would sue.
The time and aggravation of her whole ordeal is a PIA, and Cam-Am seems not to be able to correct it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:27 am 

UPDATE,
Well, she decided to give the first shop another try, we finally got the bike back after forever and took it for a 20 mile, easy ride on black top, burned just about a quart of oil and it still Knocks, no oil low warning what so ever, and can't stand riding behind it.
We had a big ride weekend, our annual fall ride, put 70 miles on one day, burned just over another quart.
second day, 100 miles, just under 2 quarts,
third day 70 miles, just over a quart.
So its using a quart about every 60 miles. worse than a 2 stroke snowmobile.
Anyone know a good Lawyer who deals with the lemon laws in northern or western wisconsin?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:17 am 

Another Update, Same old Same old, after weeks of talks with dealer and BRP, guess what? they are going to try and rebuild the motor again, and like we keep telling them thats not the only problems it has, well their Idea is too extend this into the winter so she won't ride it anymore until next year in May. She has contacted a Lemon Law's Lawyer, he said they are still willing to work on it, and as of the repair orders they have, they have worked on a different thing each time, what BS is that? and the first shop that worked on it, even though BRP has record of them contacting them each time, they never completed the repair invoices, so they don't count, or some BS like that, All we know is the machine has Seized up, run out of oil, knocks, and over heats, with out any warning lights or displays, and thats what the problem was all 6 times it went to the shop, what the dealer does shouldn't matter. he told her to see a consumers protection lawyer, which she is now talking to. Pretty sad someone has to go thru all of this to try and get a weekend of riding in on a year old $8500 machine, I'm not into bashing anyone, but I think this has gone on way too long. So anyone thinking about buying a BRP or Can Am product, once its out the door, they don't care anymore. AS for the Dealer, they make all the difference in the world, so find one that ACTUALLY Cares. AS for everyone out there, A word of advice, if you have a problem, document every itty bitty detail, and make sure the repair order is complete and discriptive as can be. I've had Cat dealers and car dealers never write anything up also. We were thinking about updating our sleds this year, We won't be looking at Ski-Doo anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:08 pm 
ATV Enthusiast Member

Hi.

To me at least the can-am lemons seem oddly random. Some have had very bad luck with rotax engines. Then again so many have had years of great service.

I still have my BRP 500 and 650 traxter & quest with 5000+kms and them and never had a serious problem except for the sprag clutch which i caught early on. Constant work of hauling ,plowing snow, hauling stuff to the camp and pulling other people out of trouble.

I've had my 08 650max xt for about 18 months now and not had such problems.

I would be curious to know what the problem(s) actually is/are with your 650 engine.

From what i can tell . Your can-am dealer/repair shop is quite inept, greedy, or both.

Granted my local Polaris repair tech is no better.

As for your 650. I do not know why they just didn't change the engine. A LIKE FOR LIKE. It would have been far less costly for can-am than constant rebuilds.

Please keep us up to date.

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:42 am 

Hey all, an update on all of this, As of late last fall, and after a couple of letters from a lawyer, can am replaced the block on this machine, don't know what it was, but she could of got a new machine out of the deal based on the neglect of the warranty if she wanted to take them to court. anyway, she just wanted her wheeler back to beable to ride it, had a few small rides before we had to get the sleds out, it still knocks loud, which the dealer says is normal, but I've heard others side by side and they don't. she has to put in one more good ride before she takes it back for its 10 hour maintenance, which they will probably charger her AGAIN for. So don't know if it was the lawyer or all the bad word of mouth going around that actually made them finally do something, been a very frustrating year that could of been avoided if can am or the dealer would of just backed their product right away. The dealer kept bringing up cleaning the air filter, like it was her fault that the engine kept blowing, well she never would get enough miles to get the air filter dirty before the engine would blow, so that bs. she has 2 - 400 outlanders with 5-8,000 miles on them and no engine problems, Will update again if anymore issues come up.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 8:45 pm 

goat045 wrote:
UPDATE,
Well, she decided to give the first shop another try, we finally got the bike back after forever and took it for a 20 mile, easy ride on black top, burned just about a quart of oil and it still Knocks, no oil low warning what so ever, and can't stand riding behind it.
We had a big ride weekend, our annual fall ride, put 70 miles on one day, burned just over another quart.
second day, 100 miles, just under 2 quarts,
third day 70 miles, just over a quart.
So its using a quart about every 60 miles. worse than a 2 stroke snowmobile.
Anyone know a good Lawyer who deals with the lemon laws in northern or western wisconsin?

Sounds like the mains spun. This is what happened to mine. I had the bearings pinned. There is a shop in NC who does nothing but Rotax motors you can google them MR RPM