ATV Source.com | Calendar | ATV/UTV Reviews | ATV/UTV News | ATV/UTV Product Reviews | ATV/UTV Racing | ATV/UTV Trails | ATV/UTV Videos

ATVSource.com Social Community Forums

ATVSource.com is a social community site based on the needs of ATV/UTV fans alike.
It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:23 am 
Still on the Trailer Member

We bought my wife this machine new. Now has less than 100 miles on it. Just curious to see if anyone has had these issues. At 100 mile service brought it in for the serv. It also had the problem with the lights and relays clicking at first start, then when you tuen key off then back on it was fine. The cluster doesn't display high and low. They replaced the battery for the clicking, now it still does it once in a while. They also said the display isn't supposed to show hi and low, only shows r, neutral and park. It also seems like it winds out to much. A little over 6000 rpm at 25 mph, if you get into the throttle it does accelerate but it feels like it's 'slipping', just doesn't feel right. They said this was normal. At service they also adjusted an exhaust valve because it was tight. How could the valve be tight after break-in? You guys think I being thrown a line or does this sound right? Btw, after the service at a certified dealer, the exhaust leaks at the engine and the starter slips. Thanks, I appreciate any input.

:???: Also, we love this machine but when you pay $7500 for it, you want it to be right.

ADVERTISEMENT

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:32 am 

That's not a good sign for Ca-Am. I think maybe your dealer has a less then perfect service dept. I would be tempted to call the salesman who sold it to you and tell them you are very unhappy with the machine and they service.

Sad but its a fact that the ATV business is very cut-throat and dealers don't want to pay to have good techs. There is just no excuse for screw-ups. I have met many ATV owners over the years who are real po'd at the dealer who sold them the machine because of poor service and expensive charges for that service.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:38 am 

I actually found another dealer close to home. The origianal dealer I bought it at was an hour away. Hopefully this next one will get it done right.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:21 am 
ATVing To The End

Hopefully this new dealer has a tech who knows what he is doing. Most of them do not. The term "certified" is a joke. All a dealer has to do to become "certified" is send one tech to a factory school. He can then fire the certified tech (who of course earns more money) and hire others and still have the certified rating, since the factories never follow the dealer's hiring and firing practices.

Around here, most good techs go into business for themselves, and the dealers are left with the semi-literate ones whio can do more harm to a quad than good. There a few that do not have the gonads or business sense to go out on their own, hopefully you will find one of these.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:32 pm 

just to answer your question about the valve...believe it or not, when valves start to wear, they actually loose clearance. simply put, the spring pressure from the closing of the valve is actually wearing away at the valve and valve seat. imagine the valve being sucked up through the head by the spring. theres nothing wrong with it though, this will happen during the break in...and throughout its life....its normal.