ATV Source.com | Calendar | ATV/UTV Reviews | ATV/UTV News | ATV/UTV Product Reviews | ATV/UTV Racing | ATV/UTV Trails | ATV/UTV Videos

ATVSource.com Social Community Forums

ATVSource.com is a social community site based on the needs of ATV/UTV fans alike.
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:31 pm 
Still on the Trailer Member

Hi, I am looking to purchase a very inexpensive ATV to tow a bush hog attachment at a seasonal property we just bought, and for a little light recreational use on the side. The property is in NW Pennsylvania and not near a major metro area (i.e., not close to places where I can easily pick up the vehicle at a dealership).

These are the options I've identified so far, and none looks too close to ideal:

1. Purchase circa 2004 Jianshe ATV, barely used, within pickup distance, but for which parts are no longer available. ($750)

2. Purchase new MX ATV (Chinese make) from California dealership and pay to have it shipped cross country. ($1200 -- somewhat more than my budget target)

3. Purchase very old name-brand Japanese ATV and have it shipped. (Most of these seem like they will have a total cost of around $2000 at the lowest, and they have a lot of miles and wear.)

I'm primarily looking on ebay Motors and Craigslist, plus newspaper classifieds in the region around the cottage. I haven't looked at the shopper newsletters that you can pick up at places like Wal-Mart yet -- don't know if they're a good place to find old ATVs cheap.

Would appreciate any advice on specific options or possible alternative tactics. I need to have something purchased by the time I go up there in a couple weeks to do initial maintenance work.

Or is this an impossible quest?

Thanks --

Chris

ADVERTISEMENT

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:16 pm 
Still on the Trailer Member

I live in PA and buy junk atv's which I fix up and sell. Most of deals I find are on an internet site called www.pennswoods.net they have a free classified section were 99 percent of the classifieds are in PA. I suggest checking this site out.