ATV Source.com | Calendar | ATV/UTV Reviews | ATV/UTV News | ATV/UTV Product Reviews | ATV/UTV Racing | ATV/UTV Trails | ATV/UTV Videos

ATVSource.com Social Community Forums

ATVSource.com is a social community site based on the needs of ATV/UTV fans alike.
It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:18 am 
Still on the Trailer Member

i was looking at a lot of ppl's canondales and for some reason they all had a aftermarket 5th gear is this just for higher top speed or are they breaking?

ADVERTISEMENT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:33 pm 
ATVing Is My Life

the stock 5th gear has a big drop in RPM's from 4th gear. its like a big overdrive. a new 5th gear makes the gear ratio like it should be

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:32 pm 
ATVing Pro Rider

yami_racer_13 wrote:
the stock 5th gear has a big drop in RPM's from 4th gear. its like a big overdrive. a new 5th gear makes the gear ratio like it should be

True but not necessarily like it should be. 1st-4th gears are very close ratio and pull hard throughout. Once you hit 5th the rpm's drop massively and can cause you to be passed by 450's until the power hits on again in which you then blow past them. The new 5th gear makes it a closer ratio meaning 2-3 less mph on the top but a neverending pull throughout the gears. All the new ATK's have this on them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:55 pm 
ATVing Is My Life

if i had it my way, id have new 1-4 gears to match 5th gear

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:33 pm 
ATVing Pro Rider

yami_racer_13 wrote:
if i had it my way, id have new 1-4 gears to match 5th gear

Come to think of it, it's a hard decision. When I'm in 5th on the C'Dale I'm at the same as I'd be getting ready to shift to 4th on the 450R. The gears are a little too close together which is awesome for the woods but not so much for MX. 1st gear is useless even w/a 14t sprocket but having all gears like that would completely suck for MX. ABout as bad if not worse than the stock R's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:44 pm 
ATVing Is My Life

Quote:
Come to think of it, it's a hard decision.

not for me :lol: i know id love all the gears to match 5th, i have three different size front sprockets and two different size rear sprockets to play with gearing for tight, open, tacky, and loose tracks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:12 pm 
ATV Enthusiast Member

The Motard 5th gear is much better. Nobody really needs to go 76mph. It lowers the top speed by about 5mph and if you want the topend back change out the sprockets.. The old 5th gear was un-useable in the dunes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:54 pm 
ATVing Pro Rider

Sandstorm wrote:
The Motard 5th gear is much better. Nobody really needs to go 76mph. It lowers the top speed by about 5mph and if you want the topend back change out the sprockets.. The old 5th gear was un-useable in the dunes.

It's unusable for MX too. On long straights I'd pull away from competition but once I hit 5th they'd catch up. If it was a LONG straight I'd run away though.

The new ATK I'm about to pick up though will have the motard 5th gear in it so I'll see how I like it w/Moto gearing and the ACE airbox/XMX map from Maz. Haydug's putting it all together for me to pick up on the 18th.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:37 pm 
ATVing Is My Life

Quote:
It's unusable for MX too.

tell me about it. i was running 4th around the local track, but a couple of the jumps u cant clear in 4th, gotta lug around in 5th , makes it hard. i want a new 5th gear, but i have no money now :cry: you should give me yours psychosis, ill give ya my fifth gear :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:30 pm 
ATVing Pro Rider

yami_racer_13 wrote:
makes it hard. i want a new 5th gear, but i have no money now :cry: you should give me yours psychosis, ill give ya my fifth gear :lol:

R@S sells them for a reasonable price from last I knew. Not sure but only a couple hundred.