ATV Source.com | Calendar | ATV/UTV Reviews | ATV/UTV News | ATV/UTV Product Reviews | ATV/UTV Racing | ATV/UTV Trails | ATV/UTV Videos

ATVSource.com Social Community Forums

ATVSource.com is a social community site based on the needs of ATV/UTV fans alike.
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 420 Rancher backfiring
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:36 am 
Still on the Trailer Member

I have a 07 420 Rancher that sometimes when you are going down a hill will backfire so loud it sounds like a shotgun going off. One time it blew the insides out of the muffler. Honda replaced the muffler but the dealer said they don't know why they backfire. They say it needs a new spark plug. It has 400 miles on it and has the 4th spark plug in it and still backfires. Any ideas on how to solve this problem.

ADVERTISEMENT

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:24 am 
ATVing To The End

Backfire on decel or hard engine braking is an indication of a lean idle mixture. Of course since it is EFI there is nothing you can do about it. Honda has leaned it's quad out too much, in order to meet CARB regulations. The spark plug has nothing to do with it. They are well aware it is too lean on the idle. I do not know if a EFI module would help any or not. The only thing I could suggest would be to hold the throttle open just slightly when going down a steep hill.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:56 pm 

I'm having same problem. The exhaust pipe is blueing as well. I have read in other posts that when you get some hours on the Rancher the problem goes away. I can't say for sure on that because I've only had mine 2 weeks and run it for 7 hours.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:42 am 

My 07 rancher 420 was backfiring like that when I got it. I called and told the tech and also told him I thought it was running a little lean and it started smoking when it was idle. He said yea, I could bring it in and he would put it on the computer and fix that and he wanted to see what the idle smoke was about. He did something to tune so it must be adjustable at a honda shop cause now it runs much better and no more backfiring. Seems more responsive too, so its worth the trip I think (especially since it needed the top end replaced also)...seems honda forgot to put the retainer clips on the piston pin, so I was starting to get blue smoke on idle due to the pin grinding a groove into the cylinder wall.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:51 pm 

I own a 2010 rancher 420 es it doesnt get out alot due to my schedules... I took it in today because it needed regular service, it started smoking last week. I have never been in water that is deeper then 4" i have never flooded this engine. I asked them since it is under warrenty if they would check it out, they called me like fifteen minutes later and said that not today but soon i would have to have the top end rebuilt. why is the rancher 420 smoking at an idle.. and backfiring when you let out on the top end???? is this a common problem it has lots of power, no other noises just smokes a little when cold or when idle for a long period????