ATV Source.com | Calendar | ATV/UTV Reviews | ATV/UTV News | ATV/UTV Product Reviews | ATV/UTV Racing | ATV/UTV Trails | ATV/UTV Videos

ATVSource.com Social Community Forums

ATVSource.com is a social community site based on the needs of ATV/UTV fans alike.
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:38 pm 
Still on the Trailer Member

my honda fourtrax 300 4x4's tranny seams like it shifts hard, and sometimes when you shift it just misses the gear or grinds. i was just wonderin what i could do to make it shift into first gear and reverser a little better.

ADVERTISEMENT

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:56 pm 
ATVing To The End

sounds like the shift change clutch is worn out. Might be the shift forks bent, also. The clutch pack isn't too hard to change, the forks are a major job.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:42 pm 

thanks...
do you know where to get a shift change clutch at and how pricey they might be??
its a 5 speed with auto matic clutch

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:06 pm 
ATV Enthusiast Member

1st: Check your idle and makes sure it's not to fast, should be around 1400 RPM

2nd: Try adjusting the clutch, the adjuster is on the right crankcase cover by the oil filter. It takes a 14mm wrench and a flat screwdriver to adjust it. Loosen the lock nut and turn the adjust screw counterclockwise until resistance is felt and then clockwise a 1/4 turn and tighten the lock nut while holding the screw.

3rd: If it is mechanical and hasn't been jambed into gears the shift forks would be the last to inspect (especially since their in the transmission). The gear shift arm is common to get damaged (also the shift stop bolt and return spring) but that will usually show up in other gears as well.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:10 pm 

thanks

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:30 am 
ATVing To The End

Take toodeep's advice. He knows what he is talking about.

Glad to see you join us here, toodeep. Welcome to ATVSource.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:07 am 
ATV Enthusiast Member

WoodsRuner wrote:
Take toodeep's advice. He knows what he is talking about.

Glad to see you join us here, toodeep. Welcome to ATVSource.

Thanks, I'm here to help and maybe a little BS sometimes :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:42 pm 

HEY TOODEEP I HAVE A 94 300 FOURTRAX WHEN I DRIVE IT SOME OR LONG ENOUGH TO GET IT WARM I TURN IT OFF THEN WHEN I TRY TO START IT IT DONT START IT HAS TO COOL DOWN TO RESTART THE NUETRAL LIGHT IS NOT ON WHEN THIS HAPPENS BUT WHEN IT COOLS DOWN ENOUGH THE LIGHT IS ON THEN IT WILL START .

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:56 pm 

mines never done that but i would look at yur wiring and see if its not shorting out or somethin.
wht r your ideas about making mine louder for cheap?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:38 am 
ATV Enthusiast Member

slydirt wrote:
HEY TOODEEP I HAVE A 94 300 FOURTRAX WHEN I DRIVE IT SOME OR LONG ENOUGH TO GET IT WARM I TURN IT OFF THEN WHEN I TRY TO START IT IT DONT START IT HAS TO COOL DOWN TO RESTART THE NUETRAL LIGHT IS NOT ON WHEN THIS HAPPENS BUT WHEN IT COOLS DOWN ENOUGH THE LIGHT IS ON THEN IT WILL START .

Not a common problem. First thing I would do is ride it until the problem occurs and ground out the neutral wire to see if the light will come on or not. I would do this by the sensor and that will tell you if it's in the electrical side of the atv or the sensor. If it is the sensor (or thought to be) I would switch it with the reverse sensor and try it out (both sensors are the same part). If you turn off the gas and tip the bike on it's side at an angle you can switch them without draining the oil. If it's not the sensor and in the electrics it could be in the wiring harness, an electrical connection, or the CDI/ICM. If it comes to the electrics and you know someone with another 94-97 300 try trading the CDI for the test run. That's a few things to start with and again not a common problem, might be easy to find or hard?