ATV Source.com | Calendar | ATV/UTV Reviews | ATV/UTV News | ATV/UTV Product Reviews | ATV/UTV Racing | ATV/UTV Trails | ATV/UTV Videos

ATVSource.com Social Community Forums

ATVSource.com is a social community site based on the needs of ATV/UTV fans alike.
It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Rhino Question(S)??
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:40 pm 
ATV Enthusiast Member

So my rhino is an pretty much brand new but when we take it out we ride it alot its pretty much never at our camp parked. well it started to act up it would sometimes just die(no sign of overheating light didnt come on either) and we wouldnt be able to get it started for about 2 hours then it just started right back up ran pretty normal after that. So just this weekend we put a rev box new air filter and a filter for the trannsmision. So now its actin up real bad it will be driving then back fire a few times then die. It feels like its always bogging out as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:23 pm 
ATV Enthusiast Member

I would put a new fuel filter in it if it were me. The manufacturing process for Rhino gas tanks is pretty poor, and the stock gas tanks usually have a lot of plastic shavings in them that will plug the fuel filter.

3TV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:24 am 
ATV Junkie

Sounds fuel related.

I agree, it could be the filter. But any time I had a filter go bad on any type of vehicle, what would usually happen is that it wouldn't run above a certain RPM under load (if fuel injected) because there wasn't enough flow to allow it to go any faster, or it would run fine until the float bowl ran out of fuel (if carburated).

It sound to me that the fuel tank vent could be plugged. Next time it quits, release the cap and see if it sucks in air and/or runs fine after. I've had a vent hose plugged on a motorcycle that caused symptoms very similar to what you describe.

If you have an electric fuel pump, make sure you don't have a bad electrical connection on the pump or pump relay, a bad relay, or even a bad pump. You could be having one of the electrical componants for the fuel system overheat and stop working, then later it cools and works fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:23 am 
ATVing To The End

Rev box and new air filter might point you in the direction to start looking.

Take the rev box out and see how it runs. Might be a faulty rev box right out of the box.

Is the new air filter high-flow aftermarket filter, or a replacement stock filter?
Putting a high-flow filter on an engine that is marginally jetted (assuming here it is a carbed Rhino, since you do not specify) to the lean side will cause immediate problems. The same might also apply to a FI engine if it is pre-programmed to the lean side for emissions control.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:21 pm 
Still on the Trailer Member

Definitely check the filter. But a word to the wise. Yamaha does not oil the air filter. A good friend of mine rode his 2 times and the engine blew up. Air filter was dry as a bone. WHen I bought mine the dealer check list said that the filter was oiled. Well I made them take it apart in the dealership and low and behold it was dry. Yamaha does not put a new engine back in they put in a rebuilt engine.

Post subject: Re: Rhino Question(S)??
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:23 pm 
Still on the Trailer Member

mine did the same. it was the tank vent line that goes in the bottom of the roll bar. it would not vent .