ATV Source.com | Calendar | ATV/UTV Reviews | ATV/UTV News | ATV/UTV Product Reviews | ATV/UTV Racing | ATV/UTV Trails | ATV/UTV Videos

ATVSource.com Social Community Forums

ATVSource.com is a social community site based on the needs of ATV/UTV fans alike.
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Any news on BRPs utv?
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 6:39 pm 
ATV Enthusiast Member

Any one hear any official or semi-official rumors of what and when BRP will bring out it's utv?

I know that economy is not what it used to be.

ADVERTISEMENT

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:00 pm 
ATV Enthusiast Member

nanuk wrote:
Any one hear any official or semi-official rumors of what and when BRP will bring out it's utv?

I know that economy is not what it used to be.

Hi it's unclear as to if or when the SXS will come out.

Can-AM BRP is being extremely vague as to what the machine will be.

Some say between late August to some time in December 2009.

Others claim it will be a 2011 season model. Which will be September 2010.

With that massive recall of BRP spider roadsters. I'm certain that the BRP SxS is on hold for the moment, if it was set to be released at all.

I noticed other forums & sub forums that were setup for the BRP UTV have gone into a graveyard state.

Apart form that the rumors have not changed. Most think that the BRP machine will be a SxS and not a UTV, and something that looks like a Polaris rzr with a V991 SA Rotax engine.

At 997cc. 100+ HP. It's a bit ... Ok way to much power for a sport model.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:03 am 
ATVing Obsessed Member

No such thing as too much power. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:13 pm 
ATV Enthusiast Member

Samson... Funny.

Although i will admit to building or upgrading utility vehicles with much more HP and torque than is standard. However 100hp in a RZR size/weight SxS. Adding a full roll cage, air bags, and a five point harness would be wise.

I tried the BRP spyder that uses the same propose brp UTV engine. Even with the engine limited, to about 85hp . That spyder is a tricycle with a rocket . I can imagine what the manual tranny spider can do.

I think the spyder needs a set of slightly (bottom outward) angled wheels at the back. Not as angled as most sport wheel chairs but something similar.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:49 am 
ATVing Obsessed Member

I'm not crazy about the styling on those. I don't think I'd ever own one...but it would be fun to ride one. Hey, I'd ride a moped with a smile if nobody was looking. :wink:

They'd probably just do like Kawi and everybody else and de-tune the engine.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:44 pm 
ATV Enthusiast Member

True.

I often find it funny and a little disturbing that most atv buyers go "OOOOOO new toy, more power, new tech".

Take for example the new 2010 outlander 650 with 60HP. The 2008, 2009 have 60 hp, They are just tuned lower.

Your paying 13000$ when you can get an HMF modual for i believe is now 500$ and get your 60hp.

Velocity devices is supositly working on a copperhead for the outlander as well.

Any how i hope brp decides to do something about this annoying trait of theirs of leaking out info on something that might not even exist. UTV wise.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:02 pm 
ATVing Obsessed Member

Or like 44HP out of a Teryx engine? Briggs could probably get that much out of 750cc's. :???:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:46 pm 
ATV Enthusiast Member

Hi.

I am not certain what you can get out of a Kawa engine. It's been some time since i've fiddled with a more modern kawa engine.

I an familiar with the Brute force. Although i find it heavy, and it lumbers through mud. Kawa & brp are fairly equal (stock) as far as shier HP/Torque goes. The Brute has better low end for quick starts but the can-am is faster in the mid to higher ranges.

As far as the can-am UTV goes. I've seen dealer web sites with some rather exaggerated "possible" specs in order to keep future buyers interest. Including a 1200cc c199 engine. Which brp/rotax does not make.

A c199 engine is a Mercades engine.

They are either desperate or don't think that there are some of us out there that are better informed.

I don't regret for an instant getting my cub cadet volunteer UTV. However i was really looking forward to a Can-am/BRP UTV.

Still two months before we hear anything from can-am.

Lastly i wish they stayed with BRP as a name. I always loathed CAN-AM racing. No Old guy jokes please.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:59 pm 
ATVing Obsessed Member

I've heard stories of 100hp. It would be easy to get 55-60 with bolt-ons and a cdi.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:24 pm 
ATVing To The End

We saw a Kawi 650 drag quad at Dirt Days in WV that the owner claimed had 110 hp at the rear wheels. It was nowhere near stock of course, the frame was even stretched to keep it from flipping over on him at the green light, and the belt drive was replaced with something else, but we never did find out what he replaced it with. LOL. I think it had a turbocharger on it. It had a whine to it as well as a loud rumble. It was quick as hell, I can vouch for that. He won the open class easily.