ATV Source.com | Calendar | ATV/UTV Reviews | ATV/UTV News | ATV/UTV Product Reviews | ATV/UTV Racing | ATV/UTV Trails | ATV/UTV Videos

ATVSource.com Social Community Forums

ATVSource.com is a social community site based on the needs of ATV/UTV fans alike.
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:54 pm 
Still on the Trailer Member

I recently had a small, plastic part break in the 2WD to 4WD shift (transfer) lever assembly on my Suzuki Eiger. I checked with my local Suzuki dealer and they quoted me a price of $100 for the entire assembly :shock: , when all I really need is the small, white plastic part that connects to the cable that shifts the ATV from 2WD to 4WD. I will consider purchasing the entire package which includes the cover, metal bushing, and lever if that is the only way I can get it. Here is a picture of the entire assembly:

Anyone know of a good (cheap) parts source or better yet, a boneyard where I can salvage one off a trashed machine? If so, shoot me a PM. I'll be much obliged. :wink:

Last edited by Pot Hole on Wed May 09, 2007 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 7:47 am 

I feel your pain. Had to replace the entire assembly myself. Can't help with a ATV junkyard but if you go with a new assembly be sure and get the one for the 07. The replaced the plastic with metal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:06 am 

Thanks Back40. I didn't know about the '07s having the metal part vs the plastic. I assume from your post that the '07 assembly is interchangable with the '02. If that is indeed the case, it would be a bit easier to stomach the $100 charge for a new transfer lever assembly than buy the old version and have the plastic part break again. :cry:

Appreciate the comments. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 8:21 am 

check ebay theres a couple listings for parts it looks like they are gutting a 03 eiger. I didn't see the part you need but send them a message to if they have one. They sell used parts for a living so they may have one sitting around.

Good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:28 am 

jnt3000 wrote:
check ebay theres a couple listings for parts it looks like they are gutting a 03 eiger. I didn't see the part you need but send them a message to if they have one. They sell used parts for a living so they may have one sitting around.

Good luck

I did just that. Thanks. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:41 pm 

I just wish that guy had those yokes and ujoints listed about 2 months ago it would have saved me $100. Hope you found what you needed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 2:40 pm 

jnt3000 wrote:
...Hope you found what you needed.

Unfortunately, the reply I got indicated they didn't have any of the parts I am looking for at this time. Bummer! :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:59 am 

I remember reading on another forum where a guy used a brake lever from a mountain bike. I actually copied this into a word doc for future reference if necessary. Here ya go..

It aint pretty but it works !!! I used a Brake lever off of a mountain bicycle. It mounts right on the handle bars and the shift cable fits right in. cost $6.99 and is made of steel.

You have to remove the original broken lever from the handlebars and remove it from the cable. Next there is a screw on part on the end of the cable that attaches it to the lever part. You will need to remove this. I used a mini grinder with a cutting wheel to get it off. Becareful not to cut through the cable. Next there is a metal extension thingy on the end of the cable , it kinda looks like a bullet for lack of a better description. This comes off easily as you will see once you're in this deep. Now the cable end will look exactly like a bicycle brake cable end with the little lead ball on the end. Now you can Install the brake handle on the handlebars right in the same spot as the origional 2/4w lever was located so that when you squeeze it it would stretch the cable out some. (This would put it in 2WD). (You'll have to remove the grip and front brake lever first.) The next trick is to copy the design of the park brake on your left hand brake. A little steel wedge to hold the bike in 2WD. Kinda long winded but I promise its stronger than the original gimmick and saves you $200.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:40 pm 

Back40 wrote:
I remember reading on another forum where a guy used a brake lever from a mountain bike. I actually copied this into a word doc for future reference if necessary. Here ya go..

It aint pretty but it works !!! I used a Brake lever off of a mountain bicycle. It mounts right on the handle bars and the shift cable fits right in. cost $6.99 and is made of steel.

You have to remove the original broken lever from the handlebars and remove it from the cable. Next there is a screw on part on the end of the cable that attaches it to the lever part. You will need to remove this. I used a mini grinder with a cutting wheel to get it off. Becareful not to cut through the cable. Next there is a metal extension thingy on the end of the cable , it kinda looks like a bullet for lack of a better description. This comes off easily as you will see once you're in this deep. Now the cable end will look exactly like a bicycle brake cable end with the little lead ball on the end. Now you can Install the brake handle on the handlebars right in the same spot as the origional 2/4w lever was located so that when you squeeze it it would stretch the cable out some. (This would put it in 2WD). (You'll have to remove the grip and front brake lever first.) The next trick is to copy the design of the park brake on your left hand brake. A little steel wedge to hold the bike in 2WD. Kinda long winded but I promise its stronger than the original gimmick and saves you $200.

Interesting. I actually thought about doing something like this myself because how hard can it be to find a lever that will move a short cable back and forth??? Heck, my tiller even has such a lever! The only problem I have with what this guy's done is once you cut the ball off the end of the cable you can't put it back on and the cable cannot be returned to it's original state. If you ever want to fix the cable assembly back to OEM, you would have to not only buy the part I'm looking for, but the cable as well - and who knows how much that thing costs. :shock:

In as much as I would like to get my 4WD working again, I confess to be chicken to modifying parts unless I have no other alternative. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that somewhere a scrapped Eiger will turn up that I can "harvest" the necessary part I need to get mine going. I maybe waiting a while, but right now it's the "principal of the thing".

Back40, I appreciate you posting this for me, and if I get desparate enough I may just give 'er a try! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:43 am 

Thought I would bump this back up to the top and see if any good part sources have emerged. :listen: