ATV Source.com | Calendar | ATV/UTV Reviews | ATV/UTV News | ATV/UTV Product Reviews | ATV/UTV Racing | ATV/UTV Trails | ATV/UTV Videos

ATVSource.com Social Community Forums

ATVSource.com is a social community site based on the needs of ATV/UTV fans alike.
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:19 pm 
Still on the Trailer Member

I have an ozark 250, and the bike runs really good. The problem, is that the overflow keeps dripping, so I would imagine that there is some gunk in the carb that needs to be cleaned. Anyone have any experience cleaning a 4 stroke carb? Ive rebuilt several 2 stroke carbs, so im guessing its not to much different. Anything to look out for?

ADVERTISEMENT

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:44 am 
ATVing To The End

It has some gunk in the float needle valve. You might well be able to clear is by opening the float bowl drain screw and opening and closing the fuel tank petcock (if so equipped) a few times.

The float bowl should be drained annually to remove the gunk that eventually gets in there.

If that fails to work, it is a simple matter to remove the float bowl and spray it out with some carb cleaner. Pay special attention to the needle valve and seat.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:29 pm 

Its not bad at all, sounds like you may have a float issue, the float isnt closing all the way and your bowl is filling to the point where it overflows and drips, the kits to rebuild the carbs arent very expensive, just examine all the gaskets when you remove everything, you may not even need one, like stated above carb cleaner works great. if you have a compressor blow some air through all the jets and valves. It's really not hard just take your time and keep track of all the small parts.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:46 am 

Im having even more issues with this fuel thing. I took the carb off and completely cleaned every inch of it. I even took the tank off and cleaned the tank out really good. Once you plug everything back into the carb, it just starts flooding. My head loads up with fuel, and the fuel just keeps coming (NOT RUNNING, JUST SITTING THERE). I removed the fuel lines from carb, and it ran the fuel in the bowl. It was real boggy when giving a little throttle. Definite carb issue, I hope a carb kit fixes this.

Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:54 pm 
ATV Junkie

If it wasn't doing as bad before you took it apart, it sounds like you put it back together wrong.

I would take it apart again and make sure it's together right. It probably wouldn't hurt to clean it again. Spray carb cleaner is good because you can take the nozzle straw and put it right up against passages and holes and use the pressure of the can to blast away gunk. I would remove every screw and jet, etc., and spray through every passage, hole, and orifice I can find.

You may have to buy a $20 gallon can of carb cleaner, the kind that has a basket inside that you can put the parts in and let them soak overnight. This will remove any gum or varnish that you cannot spray out. Then you take the spray carb cleaner and use it to clean out the soaking cleaner.