ATV Source.com | Calendar | ATV/UTV Reviews | ATV/UTV News | ATV/UTV Product Reviews | ATV/UTV Racing | ATV/UTV Trails | ATV/UTV Videos

ATVSource.com Social Community Forums

ATVSource.com is a social community site based on the needs of ATV/UTV fans alike.
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 11:36 pm 
Still on the Trailer Member

I just got an 03 C'dale Blaze. I already have 2 extremley modded 400ex's. So I know a little about quads. But the Blaze i got I know that its efi and a few small things I read in the forums tonight. Other than that i dont know squat about em. I rode it about 4 hrs sun. and it runs like a missle, loved it. But the engine sounds like its about to come completely apart. If someone could help me out and maybe explain problems i might be havin i would appreciate it. thanks

ADVERTISEMENT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 4:47 pm 
ATVing Pro Rider

Join http://www.cannondaleriders.com/forums

There you will learn everything you will ever need to know. Trust me though, it gets addicting. I bought a 450R two years ago to match my Dale and well, I have another one instead of the 450R. Only took like 4 months to get rid of that R for a better machine. Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:14 pm 

Psycho I went to the link and it looks like I could get alot of info on the cannondale there but the first response I got was that the engine just sounds that way normally. If I had a few more people tell me that I might be convinced. But the motor is awfully noisy. And if anyone is confused I am not talkin about the exhaust its the engine itself that seems to may quite of bit of noise. Thanks Psycho for the help too

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:40 pm 

Psycho wat is a Stage 8 kit and where can I get one if I need it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 12:40 am 
ATVing Pro Rider

The engine really does sound like that, lol. Trust me, you may think it's wrong, but that's how it is.

The Stage 8 kit is basically a screw locking system that goes on the screws that connect the cartridge plate in the case. Originally these bolts were known to come loose. Putting that kit on eliminates the possibility. You can buy them through venders on the C'Daleriders site or check out Black Widow ATV, a primary sponsor and parts supplier of Cannondales.

Basically on the engine, if you spend the time to drop it and spend a little cash to make it bulletproof, it won't be regretted. Most stock engines are known to blow prematurely thanks to a bad crank bearing. Replacing the $40 bearing keeps you from spending hundreds in the future. It will happen sometime or another.

I myself had mine stroked to a 450 last year in early spring. I have since raced an entire MX season, practice countless hours, and then ridden for fun a lot. The amount of hours is overwhelming and the engine has NEVER had a hiccup since I did the upgrade. In fact, I can't recall anyone online who's had an engine failure crank related since the fix came out about 1.5yrs ago. Not to bad if you ask me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:15 am 

I read in the forums about a Z400 bearing and a falicon i think is wat it was. Which one should I put In when I replace it. And it may have been replaced alread but not sure. I believe this Blaze that I got come from the Nac's racing team. If the info I got from the person I got it off of is true. Thanks for the help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:16 pm 
ATVing Pro Rider

The Falicon crank is a whole new crank system. They've had mixed reviews. Some weren't made correctly, but the ones that were, have done well. The Z400 bearing is just a new bearing on the crank that fixes the wobble problem. Both of mine are running stock cranks w/the Z400 bearing. Like I said, I've gotten more riding out of mine than any quad I've had in the past or any guys I know and it's still going.

The bearing is only about $40 if you can do it yourself plus gaskets. If you want it stroked which is an unbeliebable difference, it runs like $475 if you tear it down/rebuild the engine yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 4:02 pm 

Thanks for all the help psycho. I believe I will probably do the stroker kit, but i guess i can get it at blackwidow atv that you mentioned before. And i found a complete step by step breakdown of removing and workin on the engine at the dale rider link (excellent link by the way thanks alot). So I shouldnt need any help with that, but is the stroker kit just a bolt up kit or do I have to send the engine off to have a sleeve pressed into like i did my CR125. I probably wont do all this until winter time, but wanted to ask before I forget about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 1:24 am 
ATVing Pro Rider

If you do the stock crank w/the stroker kit/bearing, nothing needs to be done if you think you can do it. I tore mine down in a few hours and shipped off the crank. Got it back, slipped it in w/the new bearings, gaskets, seals, etc, and it hooked right up.You don't have to send anything off. You can buy the sleeve press cheap online if they're available, but sometimes they're hard to find. Personally I did the jackass thing but 200hrs later, no problems, so it worked. :lol:

I just used a tool that I can't recall the name of. It's very old but it's a small press that tells the amount of pressure being used. I pressed the sleeve on w/that. The engine you will learn is one of the easiest I've ever seen. Very easy to work on too. Just don't get too frustrated w/the initial removal. The first time you take it out it may take hours. After my first time, now it only takes like 30mins and I have everything drained and removed. Make sure you label everything. The hoses are pretty well already labeled, just be sure on engine parts.

And no problem on the link. It's the main home for Cannondale quad riders online. W/out that forum, their wouldn't be many of them left. There are some brilliant minds on there and great people. By far the best online community I've ever been a part of. Good luck w/the quad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 4:13 pm 

Cannondaler.com cannondalecentral.com cannondaleriders.com
:lol: