ATV Source.com | Calendar | ATV/UTV Reviews | ATV/UTV News | ATV/UTV Product Reviews | ATV/UTV Racing | ATV/UTV Trails | ATV/UTV Videos

ATVSource.com Social Community Forums

ATVSource.com is a social community site based on the needs of ATV/UTV fans alike.
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:25 pm 
Still on the Trailer Member

HELP!!!! Which is the "best" deal/value, etc????? Owner is asking $3000 FIRM for the Big Bear and the Kodiak owner is asking $3000, not sure if he's firm or not. Assumeing BOTH are in equal condition, miles, hours, use etc, etc which is the "better" four wheeler??? Thank you for any of your suggestions, advise, comments, etc, etc. btw...Gun case NOT included w/Kodiak Again, Thank you

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ADVERTISEMENT

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:00 am 
ATVing To The End

I would most likely buy the Big Bear, since they are both the same price and the BB is 2 years newer. I also like the wheels and tires on the BB. :mrgreen:

If the BB is a manual shift, that would cinch the deal, since I am not a fan of belt drives.

However, mileage and condition, plus apparent quality of care, should be your ultimate guide.

I would also NOT advise buying one over the internet (if indeed that is the case here) unless you can actually go see it and ride it before the cash is laid out. Many folks have been scammed and screwed on internet deals. Buying a quad sight unseen is not a good idea.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:49 am 
ATV Official
ATV Official

I agree with Woods, under no circumstances would I even consider either sight unseen.

In general, when dealing with used bikes, the individual bike would dictate value over make/model. How has the bike been treated, ie use and care? High mileage on a unit ridden frequently with proper maintenance would be better than a low mileage unit that lives in a swamp.

According to KBB, the BB is worth a couple hundred more. Disregard the fancy wheels until after the overall condition is determined, but they would add some value.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:54 am 

Thank you both for your comments above. Yes, the BB is a "manual" shift and is in near MINT condition!! It has 1400 miles and only 75 have been on dirt/farm. The other 1325 where on pavement!!! It has been serviced BY THE BOOK at the dearler since it was purchace new by the seller. Has ALL the service records, documentaion, original wheels w/tires, etc.... The seller in 08 had ALL the fluids drained, flushed and replaced as well as normal called for maintance by the book. It bearly has a sctach on it!! Red isn't my color of choice but this might be tool good of a deal to pass on!?!?!? I'm a little "concerned" about it not having IRS. Is that a big issue, etc? Also, I read some were that it's 2WD is via the front wheels??? Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:50 pm 
ATV Official
ATV Official

From your description, the BB does sound like a good deal. The only thing that would concern me is that it sounds like it has been babied all it's life. If you try to "ride it like you stole it", it may not like that.

The IRS issue would be a factor to me, but I'm an old fat guy. Young, dumb, and full of energy folks usually prefers the solid rear. Never in my life have I ever heard of a bike using the front end for 2 wheel operation, and I've been riding for close to 20 years.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:01 pm 

Hey, thank you for the above comments. I felt the same way on the 2WD mode using the front wheels. Must have been a misprint, etc. Me myself, I'm 40 and an in shape 205 and would be doing your normal trail riding, etc. Not that the BB has been "babied" it's just been taken care of 110% and by the book. On the rear supension IRS vs "straight shaft" is there a big difference in ground clearence, proformence, duribilty, realibilty, etc, etc????? Also, is it possible to change the color from red to any other?? Thank you

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:28 pm 
ATVing To The End

The IRS has to be higher maintenance, seeing that it had MUCH more moving parts, bushings and bearings in particular. HOWEVER, for someone over 40 the IRS will be much easier on the back and overall endurance. I am 58 and can ride some of my 40+ SRA riding
buddies under the table when I am on the Rincon.

At 40 and 205, IRS might be a good idea. Depends on your overall
physical condition. Good back and lots of endurance capacity, SRA might be OK. Otherwise, IRS all the way. But, that BB sounds like a pretty good buy.