ATV Source.com | Calendar | ATV/UTV Reviews | ATV/UTV News | ATV/UTV Product Reviews | ATV/UTV Racing | ATV/UTV Trails | ATV/UTV Videos

ATVSource.com Social Community Forums

ATVSource.com is a social community site based on the needs of ATV/UTV fans alike.
It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:56 pm 
Still on the Trailer Member

Got 80 miles on her and belt slipping in high weak in low. I do have bigger tires but i am easy on her. mostly slow drivin in low range. hasn't been in any water above the bottom of frame so tat not the problem. checked clean out plug clean inside. goin to get a new belt should i go oem or aftermarket.

ADVERTISEMENT

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:26 am 
ATV Official
ATV Official

If it's still under warranty, take it back and let the dealer figure it out. Sounds like an adjustment problem to me.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:51 am 

Called dealer and they said belt not under warranty. I asked about adjustment but they said this model has no adjustment. it either works or don't. they blaming the bigger tires. But did say that have seen two 700 ac have oil gettin into the belt case due to a leaking seal. and that would be warranty if this is so to my unit.I am goin to pull cover and check before i take to them. if no oil in case i will just replace belt. just not sure what belt to use. I am leaning toward the goodyear belt.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:02 pm 
ATVing To The End

There are adjustments, on all belt driven tranies. Just some dealers don't want to mess with it, since it involves shims on some brands, and can be a pain in the rear to get right. Even though the factory service manuals clearly spell out the correct method for making the belt ride in the pulleys properly, some dealers apparently do not want to put out the bucks for the manuals, or have incompetent mecahnics.

I would check for oil in the case, and if none is found I would contact AC customer service dept. and complain. The belt is obviously not tracking properly, but replacing it yourself with a non-AC belt might well result in a loss of any warranty you have.
Even super big tires will not wear out a belt in 80 miles. There is most likely another problem.

I had a Kodiak 400 that fried 3 belts in 4 months and 500 miles. After the 3rd, the dealer refused to replace it any more, and could not find the cause. I sold it at a rather large loss immediately thereafter, and found out a few months later that the new buyer had taken it (after he too had replaced 2 belts) to an independent mechanic, who found that the pulleys were out of alignment. You may have a similar situation.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:51 am 

Removed belt cover today and it was wet with oil. Taken Atv to dealer to repair since under warranty. Thanks for all the help. Should by back riding next week.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:25 pm 
ATVing To The End

Glad to hear the problem was simple and is under warranty.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:48 am 

Got bike back went ahead had clutch kit installed while dealer had it torn down. Don't see alot of difference but glad to get bike back.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:56 am 
ATV Official
ATV Official

Great. Does everything seem to be ok now? Wishing ya many trouble free miles. :bigups:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:44 am 

Yes it's is running fine. Went to West Virginia last sat. an put about 50 miles on it with no problems. With all the ground clearance this atv don't need 4x4. Went through every mud hole in 2wd almost takes the fun out of riding in the mud.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:08 pm 
ATV Junkie

Glad to hear you got it fixed. Arctic Cat has a good transmission, so I figured it would probably be something like an oil leak that caused the problem.

One question I have, did they replace the belt? The reason I ask is that oil can sometimes cause problems for rubber. It can make rubber tender, swell, etc.

Arctic Cat makes a good machine, and they have been improved over the last few years.