ATV Source.com | Calendar | ATV/UTV Reviews | ATV/UTV News | ATV/UTV Product Reviews | ATV/UTV Racing | ATV/UTV Trails | ATV/UTV Videos

ATVSource.com Social Community Forums

ATVSource.com is a social community site based on the needs of ATV/UTV fans alike.
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:34 am 
Still on the Trailer Member

Hello, I have a 2000' Sportsman 500 and the starter won't do anything. I was trying to start it and it was like the starter seized. I took it apart ...thought the brushes where finished but they where OK so I clean it up lubed the bearings and then it would try to turn over the motor but no go, :mad: I think it might be the benix. But at one point the lights on the speedometer pod where going dim then bright, now I know they had problems with those sometimes. I took the starter out of the 2000' and put it in my 04.5' and it starts it so it isn't the starter. Now I turn the key on and there is no lights on the speedo pod at all. I did a few times have no speedo at all while out on the trails but the bike would start no problem.
If anyone has a idea where to start checking for this problem, it would be much apppriciated so I can fix the starter which I think is the bendix or maybe it lies within this electrical problem maybe not enough power going to the starter

All I want to do is get this bike running fix the other things wrong with it and upgrade to a 550XP or 850XP :-) And with that would be the next ? Does the 550 XP Touring have more power and speed than my 2004.5' Sportman 500 HO ? I would just go for the 850XP Touring but I don't want something really hard on gas ! I get about 20 to24 mpg with the HO which I am happy with :bigups:

ADVERTISEMENT

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:26 pm 
ATVing To The End

The starter solenoid might be faulty, bad contacts will drop the voltage and reduce the power to the starter. The battery might be weak, especially if it is the original.

The speedo pod I can't comment on.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:55 am 
Still on the Trailer Member

Well the pod is working now :bigups: . It was a bad ground. Swaped starters from my other sportsmanbut it needs a bearing ! Get to it Monday :roll: